Amitriptyline pls help!!!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ,

I wanted some advise plssssss.

It's been a week now since the awful experience with starting the mirtzapine, after 2 days I was advised to stop the med as I had a terrible reaction to it, I was put on them as I now realise I was going through fluoxetine WITHDRAWAL! ! .

Today is the first day in 'weeks' that I've felt happy and back to my old self. I've been to the gym, in a social situation and felt quite ok ish which is massive as I couldn't have done this Lasborough week.

As I'm still pretty anxious, my head is worrying about everything and I'm still not sleeping 😕. .I seen my doc for a review of my medication.

She has told me to take the fluoxetine every other day for 2 weeks and then every third day for 2 weeks and then stop (instead of stopping abruptly loke I had) .. Bcus fluoxe has not been working for me, she has started me on 10mg of amitriptyline for my insomnia , anxiety etc. . And also 40mg of propranolol (as and when required )..

I have an appt to see her again in 4 weeks for a review.

I really hope this works! !

Does anyone have any experience of amitriptyline? ??? Or propranalol??

I'm scared / anxious of trying new drugs and scared of possible side affects! Or going through WD again..

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tar4

i have been on Amitriptyline for about 9 months now i havnt noticed any bad side effects just a dry mouth,i must stress that everyone reacts differently to any drug as i am sure you are aware

you should always discuss your concerns with either your GP or a Pharmasist

as you are on several diferent drugs it would put your mind at rest to talk to one or the other

i found i sleep really well with Amitriptyline,what dosage have you been put on? im on 20mg a night... i feel very groggy on the 20mg so i asked if i could drop one pill & i am less groggy

i find it much nicer that way although it wasnt bad really i just wanted to be less groggy

i hope that helps a bit

Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn.

My doc has put me on 10mg for the first 4 days then increase to 20mg..

I took my first one last night but it didn't help me sleep (I still only got a few hours).

Did it help you sleep immediately? How much has it helped with your anxiety or depression?

• Posted

I took amitriptyline (10-20mgs)  to help my muscles relax because of osteoporosis so not for depression.  I liked it for relaxation but I have put on a lot of weight and can't shift it despite going to the gym four times a week and counting calories. I decided to stop taking it and that has caused problems with withdrawal.  I think short term you will probably be fine but yr doctor seems very switched on so would be guided by her. My dr just told me to stop it!!! I took propranolol once when I was having palpitations due to a drug reaction. It was very good and didn't have any problems.  I would follow yr doctors instructions, see her in four weeks time and take it step by step.  Hope you are better soon
    • Posted

Thanks.

Although I spoke to my doc today and she said ppl don't get WD from them, but docs aren't always 100%.. what WD did you experience? ?.

I feel quite weird today after taking one last night, almost hungover!

• Posted

I had very unpleasant thoughts, stressful sleep and generally felt very twitchy plus of course I now ache a lot.  It may take time to get used to it.  I did go up to 20mgs but  couldn't take 30 (nit that I wanted to).  It's ridiculous to say there aren't withdrawal effects. I am married to a doctor and he knows full well there are but he will say you have to weigh up the pros and cons.  You haven't been on it long enough yet.  If you need to take it wouldn't it be worth a try? If not, what about herbal therapies? Every case is individual and am not sure that asking people on here is the wisest thing to do as we don't know yr full medical history. Perhaps you need to look into pros and cons and then go back and discuss it with yr doctor but you don't need to wait a month to do that. Too many opinions isn't always good either. Good luck.
    • Posted

I agree i'm getting mixed views online, so prob not helping. 

I have tried herbal remidies including chinese medicine..Your right I will weigh up the pros and cons and maybe see how I get on after a few weeks, im just scared of becoming dependant on them.  But the anxiety and sucidal thoughts are crippling at times so I have to remember that is why ive been described them .. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

*prescribed 
    • Posted

Sort your immediate problem first, get stronger and then you will be in a good position to sort things out. Don't look for problems that haven't happened yet. Be kind to yourself, look after yourself and just remember you are a special person but at the moment you just need a little bit of help and you are not alone in that one. Best wishes to you and big hug 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.