Amitriptyline Withdrawal- Insomnia

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

After 10 years plus I have decided to come off Amitriptyline, I took 25mgs at night before bed, this was taken for depression, after discussing with my gp who said it would be OK to just stop. I'm into my 3rd week now and im suffering with severe insomnia, I'm having a maximum of 3 hrs a night! I ive tried herbal teas, herbal sleepeze tablets, sleep spray! You name it I've tried it! It's affecting my job now as I just can't function, concentration is nil and I'm very very weepy, Can anyone help me with any suggestions? I'm despair ate, Many Thanks in advance. Susied2 xx

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi susied2

i am currently on 50mg of amiltriptaline and want to come off of them due to weight gain. I use my for sleep and restless legs and muscle pain. My GP said I can only reduce by 10mg at a time....so 40mg for 10 days....then 30mg for 10 days...and so on, but I can't do this until I have fully exchanged my citalipram for my new antidepressant otherwise I will end up suicidal.

i have suffered depression since 9 yrs of age, that's 37yrs and I have NEVER been able to cope without antidepressants.

why do you want to stop taking them? 

If I even miss 1 tablet of my amiltriptaline at the mo, I don't sleep at all.

big hugs

• Posted

I've decided to stop taking them as life is good, I'm happy and my son is settled in new job, I was waking up feeling hungover and had to drag myself out of bed, lethargic and no engergy, my doc said that he could see no reason why i shouldn't just stop talking them, I'm a bit miffed as to why he didn't mention that I should've weaned myself off my going down to 10mg though! I was on 75mg until last year and I've gradually lowered the dose myself, but never thought for 1 minute I would feel like this!! No suicidal thoughts or signs of depression it's the lack of sleep that's getting me down and weepy to be honest

Thanks for hugs it's nice to talk to someone who gets it

Xxx

• Posted

Hi,

tiredness can bring about depression, so be careful, don't just dismiss it as withdrawal symptoms. Keep a close eye on your moods and feelings and thoughts.

it may be that you just need to always have a small dose. Or You could try taking 10mg a day to bring you back up again and stay on 10mg per day for 3-4 weeks and then slowly reduce by missing 1 every 2 days for a few weeks, then missing 1 every other day for a few weeks and then take 1 every 3-4 days until zero.

its got to be better than going cold turkey!!

our bodies and brains are so fragile. When ever we change anything suddenly, it has a massive effect on us.

I feel for you. be gentle with yourself. 🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻

• Posted

Also, I have to take my amiltriptaline no later than 7-8pm otherwise I get that hangover feeling too. 
  • Posted

Dare I ask why you decided to come off Amitriptyline at this moment in time? It seems to me that you have been badly advised by your GP and certainly after 10 years you should come off very slowly as another reply has advised. I just wonder whether you need to stay on these meds if they were truly helping you and aiding sleep (which is so very necessary for you to function at home and work). Perhaps you need to talk this through with someone i.e the Practice Nurse at your Surgery as they often have more empathy and knowledge of the effects of suddenly stopping such medication. I do wish you well and hope you can find the right solution for yourself as there is no shame attached to staying on Amitriptyline if it suits and helps you. Big hug xx
    • Posted

Agree. Some GP's can be real prats!

i nearly died once with a GP telling me I was just getting older and to up my excercise and change my diet. Turns out I had/have hypothyroidism and my thyroid is covered in cysts. Had to go private to get this diagnosis. Thankfully, now with the correct treatment, I am much better.

• Posted

I am glad that you have a happy ending to your story Lisa84011. I find more and more that if we patients do not firmly but respectfully challenge our GP's more and more doors will just close in our faces. For any of our forum ladies following this discussion try involving PALS (Patient Advisory Liaison Services) which are based mostly in large hospitals. It is amazing what their enquiries on behalf of a patient can reveal and bring new light to our frustration with both GP's and hospital staff. They have certainly helped me with my dillemma over not being able to get a clear diagnosis of leg and feet Lymphoedema because no nurse or GP in my Practice know anything about it and have closed down any discussions and request for help from me. I now have a new avenue to explore thanks to their help and advice. It's only a small step forward for me but at least it is there and open to me to follow-up. I wish you all well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.