amitryptiline-i want to stop, however i need it to sleep.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all.I am seeking some advice and or feedback. I have been taking amitriptyline for about 9 months now, but i am only taking 25 mg at night to help me sleep. I was originally prescribed this after having 2 concussionsand being very depressed. As it has helped me get through the awful post concssion period, i am still taking it because i cannot sleep without it. My dr has told me that i can stop taking it whenever i want, and that i dont need to be on it anymore. But she has also said that if i feel comfterable still taking it it will not harm me. 

I am sick of the side effects of dry mouth and feeling exhausted all day and feeling starving all the time. I want to have my old lifestyle back which was medication free.

I am wondering IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE who is going through the same thing as i am, and doesnt want to be on this medicine anymore BUT NEEDS IT TO SLEEP. i am in need of desperate advice as i cannot sleep and i have tried everything and dont know what to do.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I cannot sleeo with amutriptyline either however i have been on it 6 years now if you want to stop taking it then you need to be weaned off it 10mgs is the lowest i think you need to see your doctor and tell them you want to stop taking it and want to reduce your dose do not stop taking it just like that as you will have withdrawal symptoms and i believe not being able to sleep is one of them hope this helps
    • Posted

You can see another doctor in the

Practice

• Posted

Hi steph93837. As your post was a while ago & as im not sure if you are still taking amitriptyline, how did you get on if you have come off it or your dosage lowered. I too am starting to experience similar symptoms. Let me know how you got on/are getting on, as i am thinking of seeing my GP for similar reasons.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.