Amlodipine

Posted , 4 users are following.

As wish as one gets older that the complexities & challanges of

maintaining your health could be at least sustained.

We do have amazing drugs that can help ...but over dosing is

one problem that is difficult  to solve.

For instance this drug or any for that matter can easily

be prescribed at higher levels then necessary.

I am sorry but we the patients must take on our role

as amatuer Doctors...that is right..many times Drs analysis

must be questioned..almost everytime..Its a lonely feeling

to come to the conclusion that Drs..do not know what they

are doing..they are guessing big time..I can give examples

as with this med...but I will spare you

My advise is to get to the internet..remember that many

problems have natural answers but they take time..effort..

and many times courage...to look at the alternatives.

Some of my relatives are on literally 8-10 high powered

meds in thier 60's ...even some psyc meds..which are very

very powerful.

Again...good luck to all to find the safer answers to better health

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for the post Bayliner, I applaud what you have written and agree completely.  We as patients need to be aware that we should question our GPs choiceds of medication.  Like lots of others I have found BP meds such as Amlodipine to be of very little use in altering my BP readings while at the same time giving side effects that made life very difficult. I am fully supportive of people taking active steps to research and help themselves with health issues.  I have become very disillusioned with GPs trying medication after medication, telling me I would have to take 2 or 3 BP meds to get a gooding 'reading'.  That is not how I intend to live my life. Good luck everyone,

Sue

• Posted

Hi Bayliner,

I agree with your sentiments entirely in questioning our GP when we are not satsfied with diagnosis or treatment. It is our right to second opinions and analysis. I think it is very important to research alternative medicines with care, it certainly takes time to look into all the research of more natural medications. I have on numerous occasions praised the use of Grapeseed extract for high BP. I researched many web sites and found no negatves. I too was on the dreaded Amlodopine but took myself off of it due to the awful side effects.I went back to my GP 2 more times unhappy with the prescribed meds. In the meantime I had found out about Grapeseed extract. I started taking it and low and behold my BP dropped considerably. The GP suggested I take the lowest dose Losarton alongside the Grapeseed, my BP is now generally below 120/80, I am 67 years old. If I stop the Grapeseed (which I have done to see what happened) my BP goes up by about 10 both on diastolic and systolic. I would say discuss your case with your GP, there are many who recognise the benefit of natural remedies. Always ask for second opinions if you are not satisified. Don't be fobbed off or made to feel a nuisance, it is your body!

• Posted

Bayliner...

While I appreciate what you've written, I do not agree with what you suggest about

people searching the internet for answers. There are so many things on the internet that are posted by people who are in no way qualified to say what they do. Any questions about medications, the side-effects, etc.etc. should be addressed to the Pharmacist. THEY are the doctors of the drugs, not your doctor, although a lot of doctors know much about medications. While they may know a lot about the medications, drugs are not their speciality...it's the specialty of the Pharmacist.

• Posted

Like I said it is a sometimes lonely search for answers

to better health...We all need information to help us

get better informed....Pharmacists whoever may give us

vital info...we don't just pull it out of thin air...you get

a glimmer here a flicker their missing pieces may fall

into place..this takes time, commitment & patience..a lot

of folks..must learn these techniques..its hard..frustrating

to a large degree..info may be incorrect ...but the internet

is a two edge sword..try to go to NIH sites..look for double

blind studies ...stay away from ad sites..you learn this by

trial & error my friend...

Good luck mike92384

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I think you have a good point re pharmacists. When I first started taking Amlodipine my pharmacist telephoned me after the first week to see how I was. He obviously was concerned about the drug. I do believe there are good natural medications which can be used alongside healthy living, or like me alongside low dose medication. I agree never just take the word of an advertising company but there is good medical information out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.