Amlodipine

Posted , 6 users are following.

can someone tell me when I should see long term benefits from this drug? I've been on a week 5mg per day but my BP has only reduced slightly. Does it take longer to start to get the effects?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom...According to what you've written, you've only been on the Amlodipine for a week. Truly, that is too soon to judge whether or not the medication is doing it's job. Usually, doctors like the medication to be taken at least a month, unless of course the patient is experiencing severe side effects, which you did not say you were experiencing. You also went on to say that your bp has only reduced slightly. At least you're seeing SOME improvement already. Hang in there. A slight improvement is better than none at all. 
  • Posted

i started to notice better BP after 3 weeks but noticed faster heart beat
  • Posted

Amlodipine takes longer than a number of other hypertensive drugs to reach a steady rate in the blood stream, you should expect to notice a difference after 14 days.
    • Posted

Thanks Robert my GP said it should work quickly but I've only been in it a week no side effects yet just want the BP to drop hope you're right and it works
  • Posted

My blood pressure reduced very quickly Tom. I would like to say, be very careful if you develop tinnitus whilst on it, I had it on day one, I continued with it for six weeks, and then came off it. I still have dreadful tinnitus four weeks later! 
    • Posted

Hi Joan, I have had dreadful Tinnitus and still have it despite coming off of Amlodipine. What do you take instead of Amlodipine please?
    • Posted

Hi sue sky, I have been given Ramipril, but I still have dreadful tinnitus, which I am 100 pc sure was caused by Amlodipine ! I am now at my wits end with it - so am also taking myself off Ramipril as well, in the hope that tha tinnitus will subside ! I know perhaps it isnt the way to go about things, but I am afraid these ototoxic drugs will do even more damage, if I continue to use them. Have you looked on Neil Baumanns Website ? He advices the drugs to take, which do not damage your ears ! I do hope you can find one which helps your bp, and doesn't cause you more problems than you started out with, as they have done with me.
    • Posted

Thank you Joan, for your reply. I will look at Neil Baumanns website. I have also found some neck strengthening exercises help a little.
    • Posted

Hi Suesku, I meant to ask - do you get migraine type headaches with your drug induced tinnitus ? Also, I have just realised I have put an extra 'n' on the audiologist website - his name is Neil Bauman !
    • Posted

I have had some nasty headaches on top of my head. But I take turmerric gp now and this has helped a lot, havent had so much tinnitis or headaches. I have reduced my thyroid meds also. 
    • Posted

Hi Tom, Yes Turmeric with coconut oil and black pepper, start with 1/4 teaspoon of Turmeric a day, I put it in tea add 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil and black pepper. Some people make up a batch. Google Golden paste or Golden milk.  It has really helped all aches and pains and my thyroid too. My bp has gone down and I am monitoring that. 
    • Posted

Hi suesku,

How is the Amlodipine induced tinnitus going ? I still have mine, now a month after ditching the dreadful drug ! Howl long did you take it for ?

• Posted

Hi Joan,

I have had mine for at least 6 weeks, I think the Turmerric and coconut oil has helped and I take CO enzyme q10 with Vit E also. I get BP spikes and am trying Candesartan now. I cant take Lisinoprill as after a few weeks on that I had angioedema and could feel my throat tightening ended up at A&E. Consultant said it was the one with most allergic reactions of all the BP meds. So cant take any ending with ' prill' now. :-(

• Posted

Hi Suesku, How is the tinnitus going ( mine is still dreadful ! ) and how is your blood pressure ( keeping low, I hope !) ?
    • Posted

It  seems a lot better after about 6 weeks off. I take Co enzyme Q10 with magnesium,B12 and Vit D ( sub lingual sprays)  My thyroid meds, I have split the dose so take some at night and some in morning and also take T3.

Have you looked into collingual silver? I put a little just near my ear canal and think it has helped, also use garlic and olive oil on cotton wool if I have ear pain, could be related to my thyroid probs x  Hope that helps xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.