Amlodipine affects on Kidneys

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I've been taking amlodipine for 3 weeks now. I was upped to 10 mg tabs a week ago. I drink about 50 ounces of water a day. Prior to upping the amlodipine I was running to the bathroom, now I'm only going about twice a day. It's like what I'm putting in isn't coming out. I have the other terrible side effects lethargy, tiredness, brain fog etc., but the lack of urine output scares me most especially since I had a kidney function test prior to this and my kidneys were perfect. Anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Let me say right up front that I am not a doctor and if you have any concern you should see your doctor ASAP.  That said, I offer this.  If  your body is taking in more water than it is sending back out I believe you should notice some swelling in the extremities.  If you are seeing any of that I recomend you do something quickly as fluid retention potentially can cause some seriousl issues.
    • Posted

I don't see any obvious fluid retention. My legs ache a bit but that's about it. I've started drinking water every hour and I'm going to the bathroom and bit better. My doctor also prescribed a water pill with this medication so I'll get that from the pharmacy as I wasn't certain it was necessary.

• Posted

Hello, I had similar symptoms whilst taking half your dose. Changed to Imdapamide a month ago and lost some of the "stored" fluid. With only one kidney I do worry about any medication. So far I feel so much better, all the aches in joints have gone, plus the foggy head as well..

there are plenty of types of BP tablets out there, so speak to your Doc and maybe try some other brand, Good luck.

• Posted

I did well on 5mg but my doctor wasn't pleased with my results my pressure was 148/100. I go to a new doctor on Thursday and will see if he can change my meds.

• Posted

Nail

I don't have the problem with out take if urine.I have severe lower back pain eye operation red itchy watery. I feel like a old person I'm only 56 .I can't take it no quality of life

• Posted

I'm having some low back pain as well and this medication is taking away from my quality of life. It makes me extremely tired and fatigued. I can't function like this. I don't want to abruptly stop because of the horror stories that I've read about rebound hypertension.

• Posted

I had the same results on that med.  I was on Amlodopine for 2 months.  Felt like I had to urinate all of the time, however it just wasn't coming out, very irritating, I thought I had developed some sort of infection like when you can't pee.  Also I had palpitations, chest pain.  Also the ringing in the ears was absolutely unbearable.  Blood pressure would averate 140/90, so I feel this was not good enough.

I asked to be switched to Lisiniprol HCTZ 10, 12.5, as my family had taken it with much luck.  After only one pill, the next day my bp dropped to 120/80 - where it has pretty much stabilized ever since - been around 2 months on this one.  I have had no bad effects, all of those horrible side effects disappeared, I am much happier when I can't feel my heartbeat in my head when I am trying to get some sleep.

Good luck on getting your doctor to prescribe the medication which will work for you.  I would not be happy with that bp reading you are getting on Amlodopine, my bp had been like that for years when an aneurysm in my brain ruptured back in march from the high blood pressure, so I definitely needed something to keep my bp down to normal - and not prehypertension or hypertension levels.  I almost died and was touch/go for 2 weeks.  I do not want a repeat smile

• Posted

Hello nai84477, Yers ago I was put on a blood pressure med like this one and my urnine output stopped more recently I was put on amlodipine and the same thing happened including servere leg cramps It was changed to felodipine and I swelled up like india rubber man feet and legs so swollen I could not walk had to take water tablets from boots chemist doctor and health care assistant not happy because I refused to continue  take them. Because of the problems with the pills years ago I am supposed to have blood and kidney tests every six months cant remember the last time these checks were done. I feel so much better now I have stopped taking blood pressured   
    • Posted

Untreated blood pressure can lead to a stroke, as it did for me - only I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage type of stroke, you don't want that!  Seriously Lisiniprol has been around forever and you won't find message boards flooded with people who have problems with this med - except for a scratchy throat or cough which I don't find that true - it actually works very well - read my post above.  I think doctors get kickbacks from prescribing this Amlodopine, I hear it relaxes your arteries --- really? what does that mean? The Lisiniprol HTCZ works on removing salt and water from your body - nothing more and way lowers your blood pressure - Amlodopine does not.

• Posted

I appreciate your input I'm going to look into changing my no meds for sure.I'm in terrible back pain most of the day everyday .I want my life back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.