Amlodipine After Liver transplant 10 days off (report)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I started on 2.5 Rampiral to control blood pressure after a liver transplant. After a couple of weeks I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg and about a month later this was raised to 10mg. I remained on this for 20 months. I realised there were issues with cramps lower legs & feet, sometimes my right arm felt like I had pulled a tendon and I was having severe nightmares (but I was alive).

I kept logs of symptoms & my blood pressure (I recommend this). Consultants don't seem to listen but Gps tend to respond to these or at least mine did.

What I didn't realise was that I was plodding along with very little enthusiasm for anything, I still did things (I made myself) but there was little joy associated with results.

This is what has changed in the first instance, I have energy & ideas again and feel clear & bright. My wife & friends have also noticed I am more engaging and happier.

I remain on the 2.5mg rampiral & to be honest this seems to be doing the job. I'm not sure why the Amlodipine was started, but it certainly seems to have run it's course and is unnecessary for me now. 10 days off & BP again this AM 127/76. Still getting cramps but my right arm is easing.

Please bear in mind that none of this may apply to you. Drugs work very differently on everyone. Amlodipine may work for some people, but just not me. I'll keep up dating as I go along or as I respond to someone.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

PaulB1950s,

Glad to hear that you are seeing improvements.

I wonder if you notice if you have a cough since starting on Ramipril?

I believe it is a common side effect and it is one I experienced annoyingly often.

So I have been changed to a different med for my blood pressure.

Regards

Nigel

• Posted

I am glad to hear it.

When I spoke to my dental hygienist about repeated coughing, she volunteered that it was likely Ramipril as many of her other clients who suffered were also taking the medication. Even my liver consultant, when I mentioned changing from Ramipril, she suggested it was becasue of coughing!

Nigel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.