Amlodipine and Gastritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone else had gastritis as a side effect of taking Amlodipine? For some months now I have had issues with gastritis which commenced late last year when i was placed on several new drugs for a couple of issues. As a result I with agreement of the GP stopped all tablets. except Omeprazone to reduce the effect of the gastritis. some two / three months ago I recommenced taking Amlodipine, this alongside the Omeprazole and the gastritis continued to decline until this week when it resurfaced wioth avengence, back to where it was several months ago.

Amlodipine has a contra considered to be rare for causing gastritis can anyone help?

Dave

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Although not as bad as gastritis I did suffer badly from acid reflux whilst on Amlodopine. It resolved completely within about 3 months of giving up Amlodopine.
    • Posted

Carol

Thank you for the info having spoken to my GP, I am now off Amlodipine for a triail period to see how it goes. The I took my last pill  was Sunday and today Tuesday it would appear so far that i am producing less gas with less discomfort. However I am aware that one swallow doesn't make a summer so I will be monitoring the next few days / weeks to see if it is the cause of my problem!!

Thanks again!!

Dave

• Posted

I had a very bad experience with amlodipine along these lines last year. Eventually I was admitted to hospital. I was found to have three stomach ulcers and duodenitis (inflammation of the upper bowel). No evidence to suggest that the amlodiine caused the ulcers - I had an underlying h pylori infection which had got out of hand - but the amlodipine did not help. You can read my story under the forum entry 'off amlodipine now'. Good luck to you, I went through a really bad time but thankfully feel much better on Ramipril 2.5 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.