Amlodipine is not for everyone

Posted , 4 users are following.

For about the last 3 years I have been directly involved in my 89 year old father's health care.  He has been trying to find out why he's losing strength in his legs and can hardly walk.  His ankles and legs would swell and he was tired, sleepy, nauseous, and dizzy all the time.  I watched him go from a cane to walker and now a wheelchair.  I never suspected amlodipine until recently.  I  was taken off amildoride and put on amlodipine because of gout.  After about three week I began to notice that I had many of the symptons that my father was having. Everytime I talked to my doctor she was reluctant to take me off.  Finally I had enough.  Thankfully I had some of my old blood pressure medicine left and began taking it once again.  After about a week I could see my skin coming back to normal, the swelling in my ankles getting better and I no longer felt tired all the time.  Unfortunately for me the amiloride which was keeping my blood pressure fine, before I went on the amlodipine, is no longer working as well.  I wonder if the amlodipine did something to my system.  

Lastly, after my experience with amlodipine, I began talking to my dad;s doctors about taking him off.  They seemed very redluctant so finally I had to insist he be taken off.  Since he has been off I can see a difference in his skin and he doesn' sleep all the time and is not complaining about being so tired.  There is till the swelling in his feet and I wonder if the damage has already been done or if there is another cause.  I believe that there are more people experiencing the side effects than the medical community is aware  of and they are treating side effects rather than taking them off of the amlodipine.  I also believe that the new lower BP suggestions are in some way motivated by company profits and that is why so many people are on meds.  I also had an aunt who was taken off of amlodipine and now she feels much better.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi janice12988

Amlodipine seems to be the 'flavour of the day' with a lot of doctors, but they must realize it is NOT FOR EVERYONE!!! When I first started having to take bp medication, I was put on 5mgs Amlodipine, which lowered bp for a very short time, then my Dr. upped the dosage to 10mgs. There was not a diuretic prescribed with it. After 2 weeks, my feet & legs were badly swollen, & swelling is a very common side-effect of Amlodipine. Off Amlodipine I came. I am now on 4 bp medications to control bp..& certainly feel much better being off the Amlodipine. I am now having problems with my feet & legs...burning, pins/needles sensations. A Neurologist suspects Peripheral Neuropathy. I am not diabetic, nor have I ever had problems with my legs in the past. I'm now wondering if the Amlodipine did the damage. 

I have 2 relatives who take Amlodipine without problems. I also have some friends who do not experience problems either, but again, Amlodipine is not for everyone. Your doctor should be very well aware that a very common side effect of the Amlodipine is swelling of the feet/legs. Treating the side effect will not stop it, unless Amlodipine is withdrawn. For us to have to tell the Dr.s this makes me wonder who is more medically knowledgable!!! So, of course, the swelling in your legs became better...you stopped the Amlodipine!!! Now getting to your old bp meds...what worked for you previously, may not be a success for you now. As we get a little older, our bodies change. Things we could accept in the past, don't necessarily mean it will be good for us now. If the Amiloride worked in the past, but not so good now, perhaps you need a stronger dose??? You didn't state your age, but here in Canada, it is strongly believed that people should start with an ARB or ACE. Your doctor knows more about this. I wouldn't suggest you medicate yourself without first consulting with your doctor. You may be doing more harm than good. BP issues aren't to be taken lightly. Please let us know how you're getting on.

• Posted

Thank you for your report.  I feel the FDA should take this off the market. 
  • Posted

I was on this drug prior to having a Cardioversion, I have now developed Renal low funcion, speaking about dialysis and steroids. I have never drank alcohol, nor have I ever smoked, so I am very distressed about this. I was yes he'd in to the Renal ward, and they immediately stopped Amarodium, don't know what my future is.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.