Amplodipine Side Effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone, After reading through the medical reports you all have stated about Amplodipine, every one of you are correct about the effects you get after taking this Medication. I have been through the same and after seeing my Doctor about how I was feeling all I got back was keep on taking them. Through this I had become very weak as well as my muscles getting weak too. Through this my legs did at times just give. Its about time our Dr's did listen do you all agree?

ADRIAN

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I believe it is perfectly OK to insist your doctor change your medication, though some can be arrogant about it.  If he won't do it, find another doctor.  My doctor listened to me and even though his search didn't support my side effect of Afib, he put me on a new medication.

• Posted

Yes, I agree.  Doctors should work WITH the patient not AGAINST them.  If any medication causes side effects, it should be reported and the medication changed.  There are loads of different BP drugs to choose from - if one doesn't suit, another one may.

• Posted

My GP took some persuasion that Amlodipine was causing me problems but finally agreed to change the med to Doxazosin which was even worse. The GP then said to stop them and switch to Atenolol. The problems lessened and now seem to be eliminated once the effects of the other med had diminished.

Incidentally my husband has been on Amlodipine since his stroke 8 years ago and the quack finally agreed to lower the dose from 10 to 5 (not sure of the units). The only problem he had had was ankle swelling and this has been reduced markedly at the lower dose - BP was not affected.

• Posted

Snap! with both Amlodipine and Doxazosin......and, in fact, many others.  Amlodipine caused such inflamed and swollen ankles that it led to a diagnosis of varicose eczema.  When added to Losartan, Doxazosin was fine for many months until it "triggered" a reaction in the Losartan and I have recently suffered the most horrendous 24 hour itchy skin problem for 3 months necessitating the prescription of strong antihistamine medication to stop me scratching and bleeding, particularly overnight.  A skin biopsy pointed to medication and the Doxazosin was stopped with relief for my skin after a couple of weeks.  Just a slight itch from time to time still, probably due to being told to double the Losartan dose following stopping the Doxazosin.  I have a constant battle as far as my BP v kidney function v medication side effects are concerned. 

• Posted

My GP put me on amlodipine for high BP.  Two other meds did nothing to reduce BP.  Amlodipine started to reduce BP slightly then stopped.  It made me so tired I couldn't do anything, just exhaustion all the time.  Out of the blue I had two small strokes .  My carotoids were flowing freely.  I had them all checked a year before.  My cholesterol was low.  Hospital kept me for two days to try to figure out why I had strokes doubled my Amlodopine and sent me home.  Second day home, I passed out.  Fortunately my husband caught me before I hit my head or the floor.  Back to the hospital where they kept me for another two days thinking that  stroke may have been heart related and ran all the heart tests and everything was again perfect.  I am convinced that not only did amlodopine cause me debilitating exhaustion but caused me two strokes and to pass out--something I had never done before.  I am now on three other meds none of which is getting my BP below 165 over 90.  Strokes are 6 weeks old and I have a lot of damage to my left side.  I have trouble eating, my face is still lopsided and I slur my words.  I am 76 years old.

• Posted

Amlodipine can cause Afib and that can cause blood clots which cause strokes.  Afib can also cause weakness.  My Afib was permanent and it is something your doctor would certainly notice.  Perhaps you were lucky and it was only temporary with you.

• Posted

I am sorry that your afib is permanent.  I don't know how much of my strokes are going to be permanent.  Why would a doctor perscribe something so dangerous as amlodopine?  Why is it legal in the USA and not in others?  My husband and I believed right from the time I passed out after the doctors doubled my amlodipine in an effort to reduce my blood pressure that the stroke and passing out was from amlodipine.  How long does amlodopine stay in my system.  Strokes were 6 weeks ago.  I think exhaustion is from strokes not still lingering amlodipine.  Appreciate any input.

• Posted

Hi Adrian, i took Amplodipine for a month and after that i started getting leg pain up until today my left leg still hurts and i took 2 other different blood preasure meds and still my leg hurts and my calfs. I did so many tests and thank god nothing bad was found but all i can think of when my leg and calf pain started was this medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.