Amytriptaline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I know it is an old drug & I have been on it for years but, I have hated taking it, the side effects are awful & after being on it for years I decided to come off it with help from my GP. Now I am off it  feel marvelous but, I stilll have the terrible sweats , part of the withdrwal symptoms.

Jackie

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am glad I haven't experienced that yet. I have been on it for 8 years. I am on it for  tension headache. I didn't just get one tenison headache, I woke up with it and thought my head would explode,and felt like I was wearing a  band on my head, with pain on one side. I was in a fog. It would not go away. Here goes. I had it for 8 yrs,24 hours a day, 7 days a week. How crazy is that. I was on a antidepressant for some years. My family doc could not figure out, and neither could the 2 neuro's I saw. I finally became my owe  doc,and told my family GP to change my antidepressant. So she did, and put me on 20mg amitriptyline also. Thank you god, it worked. That whole scene was a bad time in my life. Hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hi Jackie,well done on being off the drug,i have been taking this for 16 years and decided i wanted to come off the pills,i have been reducing slowly,my question to you is,apart from the sweating did you have trouble sleeping,many thanks

Nikki

• Posted

Hello Nikki

I have indeed had terrible side affects with withdrawal symptoms & the worse one of the lot is Sleep Depravation, sleeping for an hour & waking up , then sleeping again & waking up far to early.

Ths is the frustrating part of withdawal from Amitryptaline, that is why I have asked my GP to assist me this time by  giving me PROZAC 200mg which is a life saver. I could not come off Amitryptaline without assistance, it is to hard.

Jackie.

• Posted

Sorry Nikki I meant 20mg PROZAC not 200mg, I am actually on 20mg Prozac in the morning which I have always been on, my GP put me on an extra 20mg as well at night to help me. You may find yourself after being on this very hard drug for many years you just cannot come off it without replacing it with something else but, less addictive. I know for a fact myself it is so addictive & very difficult to come off, I have tried many times  to come off it without success, I gave in many times over the years as it really got me down but, fingers crossed I am still achieving success, but it is still no easy ride.

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.