An age thing ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Suffered from constipation on and off since I was a toddler. Now I am in my seventies, it has got worse.  I am fairly active.  By rights I should be going through the eye of a needle.    Every morning I have wholewheat cereals or porridge.  With my cereals I have a few prunes, raspberries, blueberries and I also sprinkle on it a supplement called Linwoods Flaxseeds.    Perhaps it is an age thing.    I get the urge to go, but I can't always get rid of it as it is lodged and packed into the rectum.  I have to use glycerine suppositories, but not very often.   Any comments welcomed, especially if you have same symptoms as mine.  I must say my appetite is good, only thing is it is not coming out of my system !!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've posted my thoughts on previous threads but, having been constipated on and off since 8 years of age (and it getting much worse by 25) the last 2 years have been greatly improved through including more olive oil in my diet (plus eating jumbo oats porridge at breakfast.)  I had often avoided oil in the mistaken thought that it would help keep my weight down, but my weight is better than ever and I'm going to the loo more often.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Maybe drink lots of water ? I find laxido is definitley helpibg me 4 sachets a day
  • Posted

Hi I am57 and diagnosed recently with diverticlar disease and main problem is constipation.I take laxido everyday now to keep things moving(and as much water i can possibly drink in aday)...a revelation to me how ever was learning I have a rectocele (kind of weakness in rectum bulging into vagina)...this is why I often feel poo is stuck in the rectum.You may have this too.
    • Posted

Hi Annie

Thanks for the info on rectocele.  Never heard of this.   Interesting, because when I am "bunged up", my vagina seems to be affected and very heavy.   

• Posted

Hi

I hadnt heard of it either but nurse who examined me on my first appt in colorectal found it when doing a digital rectal exam.Now I know its there it fits in with the problems i have pooing,,,,some women have to insert finger into vagina to push bulge to allow poo to move!!! I am not that bad,but there is treatment for it,

• Posted

Thanks for all your comments.  I take on board your recommendations, i.e. olive oil and more water
  • Posted

Hi Angela,

Funny thing is I didn't even feel constipated and was having bowel movements. But I was experiencing some mild abdominal pain and nausea so Dr felt my abdomen saying it felt hard and sent me for an xray. Turns out there is a lot of fecal matter lodged in rectum. I think it's called fecal impaction. They gave me colostomy prep laxative and I was on the toilet for 6 hours eliminating . I dont know whether it was enough to soften and dislodge the impacted fecal matter. Im not sure how Im suppose to know. Well that was 4 days ago and I haven't had a regular bowel movement since. Now I'm scared that it's still there blocking a regular movement. The Dr. told me if it remains impacted a person can end up in surgery. Have you been X-rayed for this problem I wondered?

• Posted

Everyone in my family has had constipation throughout the years.  Recently I found an amazing thing.  It is Bob's unmodified potato STARCH.  This is a 100% indigesible fiber which passes through to the intestine.  It keeps me incredibly regular, even if I  eat bread and pasta all day.  Not only is it good for bathroom purposes but it is a prebiotic which feeds on the probiotics in your gut offering huge immune system benefits.  Do some research on this.   It has to be that brand and unmodified.  NOT POTAYO FLOUR.  It is hard to find.  I ended up getting it on Amazon.   I take 1-2 heaping tablespoons 2x a day in a few swallows of water.  You will be gassy for a while.  Everytime I eat  I go to the bathroom now and it is good healthy elimination.    It does not raise blood sugar and I also use it in baking instead of oil or butter and it keeps stuff moist.  It cant be cooked or heated over 125 degrees or it loses the benefits.  That is why I drink it in water.  Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.