Anaemia and palpitations

Posted , 3 users are following.

2 months ago my heart suddenly started racing for 30 mins but when the paramedics come the stopped before he could catch it on an ecg, the hospital said it was anxiety (I was perfectly fine) and went home. I wasn't convinced so went to the doc 2 weeks later after it had happened a few more times only for 4-5 seconds, he told me I was anaemic and gave me iron and booked a 24 hour ecg. I've had the ecg and my results was normal apart from some ectopic heart beats, he said this is common and nothing to worry about but put me on bisoprolol to help my heart a little. The thing is I'm still scared I'm going to die, he said my results are normal if there was something they would have picked it up right? I keep getting the ectopic beats and the odd pain but I'm not sure if my anxiety has caused this. I need some reassurance I have a baby and I'm so worried! Also have my driving test tomorrow so need to be ok for that! Any help would be great just some reassurance thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry your palpitations will go away once your iron levels are up. I was getting heart palpitations for 2 years before I got other symptoms of iron deficiency [dizziness and lethargy also urgency to eat which I thought was hypoglycaemia] I even went to the outpatient doctor at the hospital to get an ecg and they didn't pick up anything. It was very concerning at the time. I think it's because the volume of blood is not enough so your heart struggles to beat sometimes or even not enough oxygen getting to the heart for it to beat properly. My heart stopped palpitations within a week of taking Ferrograd-C [125mg ferrotin]. Take vitamin C and Magnesium with it to increase absorbtion and to prevent constipation, drink more fluids aswell.
  • Posted

Calcium blocks absorbtion of iron so you need to take vitamin C [which reverses the calcium blocking the iron absorbtion] with every meal so your body aborbes the heme iron from meat and the non-heme iron from vegetables and not have any dairy an hour before or after your iron or meals. 
    • Posted

Thank you that's helped reassure me the last time I had a palpitation was 3 weeks on Thursday and it was for 2 seconds maybe. Thanks for your tips on when to take the iron tablets I'll follow that and hopefully it will help! I'm going back to work next month so don't want it happening there it'd be terrifying! Thanks again x
  • Posted

Yes I got that too when I was extremely anaemic... Once it was back up to normal I've had it since x
    • Posted

I've not had it since!
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Tina!! Was it really fast and out of the blue? I'm so scared my boyfriend quit his job to help me cos I'm terrified of being on my own but we've just had a chat with his dad and he said we need to get him back to work! I know that and I feel awful for this but I need to know I'll be ok because I'm so scared! I was put on anti depressants 2 days ago to help with the anxiety it has caused but its have me terrible panic attacks so I've come off them (with advice from a doctor) the thing is my 7 month baby girl needs me and it makes me upset to think she could be without me. Sorry long story but I need help and reassurance to get through this because it's going to be hard 😟 x
    • Posted

Yes totally out of the blue.... I had been feeling excessively tired but have a busy life and actually visited gp as I had a sharp pain between my shoulder blades he took bloods and it was really low so endured all sorts of tests and in between had the palpitations.... Scary I agree but as long as yr iron levels are good you should not get them xxx
    • Posted

Yes me too just getting out of bed and going to the toilet I felt shattered and had to sit down! All my tests came back fine but the anxiety just wont shift I'm going to ring anxiety self help to try and get some counciling! I'm constantly on edge it happened again last night I had a 5 hour panic attack and was sick I had no energy and had a 2 second palpitation but it's enough to shake me up! Hope it's cos I wasn't feeling well xx
    • Posted

I know it probably won't help!! But try not to worry!!! Its no more harmful than running for a bus!!! Or getting scared at the movies 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.