Anaemia and racing heart/aching

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, about 7 weeks ago I was diagnosed with iron deficiency, my iron level was 5.2 and I was feeling pretty rough with the exhaustion and dizziness etc.  The doctor prescribed a month's worth of 210mg ferrous fumerate tablets to be taken 3 times a day.  He then said to go for another blood test 2 weeks after I've finished the tablets, and I had the blood test on Tueday.  I've got a follow up appointment next Monday, however, last night I woke up in the night aching all over and felt poorly.  I went to the loo (my bathroom is downstairs) and when I returned upstairs to bed my heart was really racing, I was hot and sweating and breathless and a bit dizzy and I was really aware of my heart beating.  Today I feel wiped out and shaky and every time I go up the stairs my heart beat gets faster.  Can anyone put my mind at rest, is this a normal reaction to have?! I'm going to pull out of a 10k race that I had planned for next Sunday as I just daren't do it the way I'm feeling at the moment. Any reassurance is grately received :-)

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am the same I haven't been taken off my tabs to get blood test tho my doctor just prescribed more and saido go and get more blood test when I can, I was feeling dizzy faint and as if I was going to pass out and shaking before I got put on my tabs I think it's part of low iron symptoms also lack of sleep makes iron levels drop so if ur low iron already and being tired is going to make u feel worse it dose me anyways hope u feel better soon get bk in touch wiv ur doctor xx

• Posted

My low iron is what caused my anxiety in the first place. I felt so ill when my iron was low - heart racing, shaky, light headed and the list goes on! As a result I became anxious and now after about 10 months of iron tablets and 9 months of antidepressants later I can still feel that anxiety there. I've come off the antidepressants now but still struggling with symptoms. I'm yet to have my iron tested again. I personally dont think a months iron tablets is enough... it can take a long time for iron to buid back up. My stores were low (ferritin) and this can be a very slow process. Your symptoms are typical of low iron and it will improve.

• Posted

Hi Nat, I know exactly how you feel, and I'm sorry to tell you it takes a while for you to our feel a lot better it takes time. You should go back to your doctor as soon as you can. My level dropped to 3 and I couldn't breathe I was trying to walk as was feeling terrible for a time I was so poorly. We were   With friends they were talking to me and I couldn't speak it felt like an outer body experience. I just signalled to my husband, something is wrong with me he took me to the doctors and they took a blood test, I went straight to bed, an hour later my doctor was banging on my door, telling my husband he had booked a bed for me in hospital. I felt I was going to die, we were all so worried they give me a blood transfusion and I suddenly felt better, I stayed in hospital for a week and felt great. That was over 10 years ago, I still have refactory anemia take 3 tabs a day, have ongoing Monofer by IV going into hospital. However I manage my condition, you iron can go down so quickly, you feel so ill, please don't suffer like I did. I was a mum of 2 and had 2 business and just kept going. I was being cruel and selfish to myself, thinking I was stressed. Nat go and keep going until you get yourself well please. It takes a little time but it can be so easy. Keep in touch, good luck.

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies.  I am currently waiting for a call back from my GP as I don't feel right, unless I'm just panicking about it all!  Hopefully have some answers soon! Sorry to hear you all feel as poorly as me too, it's horrible feeling like it when I'm normally quite fit and well.

• Posted

Hi Nat, Poor you!! My Husband is on an Iron tablet that he has to take 1 each day. He seems to sleep an awful lot & very breathless as well. He did have an ulcer in his stomach but now its low Iron, & we are awiting an Biopsy to have two moles removed on his back. This is why he feels awful ! Also he hasa severe sight loss. deaf & chronic on going Osteo-athritis of this hips, knees and neck. But as his full time carer I am banging on with the Gps ! Regards Amandah

• Posted

Hi Amanda your poor husband, that sounds awful. I hope he will feel a bit better soon. Well I heard back from the doctor today and he wasn't concerned about my racing heart in the slightest!! The results of my most recent blood test show haemaglobin level is normal and my iron level is borderline normal. He has prescribed me another month of iron tablets and I'm going to see him for appointment on Monday. But I'm getting concerned as if iron isn't really low why am I still feeling so poorly. I'll have to wait and see what he says on Monday and try not to panic in the meantime when my hearts racing and I've got discomfort in my chest! I hope you and your husband get some answers soon X

• Posted

Any idea what your level was? My ferritin iron store was 16, which is classed as in normal range. But low end of normal! I felt very ill at 16 but the drs dismissed it and I had to ask to be put on iron tablets x
    • Posted

Not sure he didn't say, I'll ask on Monday when I go. Originally when I went for my first blood test it was 5.2 and I had a months worth of iron tablets. The doctor told me it should be at least 12 so I'm wondering if my level is now around that

• Posted

I'm experiecing the same thing. The Dr told me that my hemoglobin was fine but my Ferritin level is 12.8. My Dr seems to think that a low Ferritin level wouldn't cause all of my symptoms. They've run all kinds of tests and all have come back normal. I started following a support group on Facebook that deals with low iron and anemia and it has been such a HUGE help in understanding this condition. The admins on there have encouraged me to see a Hematologist. I called my Dr back and told him I wanted a second opinion and wanted a referral to a Hematologist. I got the referral, now I'm just waiting for them to call to set up an appointment. From my understanding if your Ferritin level is lower than 100 you could have all of these symptoms. I also was given Ferrous Sulfate 325 mg to take once a day. I took it for 2 years and my levels never climbed they only dropped. My Ferritin levels have dropped from 80 to 12.8 in the past year. I have horrible periods, so that's why my levels won't climb. Every month I am constantly being depleted. I have started on a birth control pill and considering having a hysterectomy. I am hoping to have IV Infusions to get my levels up quickly. I would suggest to see if your Dr will refer you to a Hematologist and if he won't than I would find a new Dr who will.

• Posted

I felt very ill at 16 but the drs also said that it would not cause all my symptoms. They instead tried to say I was suffering from anxiety. By this point I was suffering with that too but that only started becaise of all my symptoms with low iron. The drs I saw were clueless about it... it was extremely frustrating. Part of me thought I was going mad!!!!
    • Posted

Just goes to show you that they have no clue in what they are doing. A side effect of low iron is anxiety. I would demand a referral to a Hemotologist or tell them you will find a dr who will. I had to change Dr's to get my referral.

• Posted

Are you taking any course or did you consult to doctor.
    • Posted

Hi, sorry for the late reply.  My doctor sent me for a chest xray and ECG to rule out any probs with my heart and I had to have a blood test for a blood clot.  All of which came back ok.  I had a blood test a few weeks back which resulted in my ferritin level coming back up from 5.2 to 13.  The dr said this was within the normal range now and when I said i'm still feeling ill, prescribed me more iron tablets!  I had my follow up appointment with my GP last night, and even though I feel slightly less exhausted, I am still feeling very dizzy and spaced out and like I'm not with it.  I can only describe it as if you stare at something for a long time without blinking and you're eyes don't focus, that's how i feel 90% of the time.  I can't concentrate on anything at work and it feels like my head is being squeezed!!  There's a constant aching in my head.  So i told all this to my dr and requested he checked my ears as my mum suffers with vertigo and dizziness due to her ears.  And he never checked my ears and said that the anaemia was causing me to feel this way and prescribed yet more iron tablets and a follow up appointment in 6 weeks!  I can't describe the dizzy feeling and not with it very well, but I don't like it!

• Posted

The dizzy feeling is awful hun, I was constantly light headed when my ferritin was 16 and even higher than that. Its a feeling you can't quite describe to people! Keep taking the iron and hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Just found this forum and it is so reassuring that others have been feeling how I have. I am on 3 tablets a day of ferrous fumerate for a month of which I'm probably 2/3 of the way through. Before I started them I was feeling very light headed to the extreme of not being able to concentrate if someone was taking to me and then become very anxious both of which I have never suffered with. When i think back now i also had palpitations and shortness of breath ages before which i just ignored. I really didnt realise low iron could cause you to feell this bad. Touch wood im feeling much better now and hope when I've finished my pills i will be back to normal. It was such a scary time for me though, one of which is hard to describe to others. Hope you feel better soon ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.