Anaemic??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i am after some help, i had blood tests done in June as GP said i looked pale and wanted me to be tested for Anaemia, these however came back as normal.

My Question is - is it possible to only be anaemic while i am on my period? i ask this because this month has been horrendously heavy for 3 days and i am always feeling tired and drowsy despite 8 hours of sleep each night.

Can anyone help please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was told, as I give blood, that a heavy period doesn't make any difference to your iron levels. Whether the nurse meant AT THAT TIME, or whether she meant ALL the time, I am not sure. But if you are prone to being a little on the low side, as I quite often am, I would recommend some supplements to keep the blood count up. Ferrous Sulphate was always a good one for me, though it does make your poo turn black, and may make you a bit constipated. Or take a multi vit that has added iron, just to keep you topped up. It's not easy to keep your iron up with your diet, I found...especially if you are a Veggie.
  • Posted

Whoever says yu can't keep up your iron levels by eating the right food is WRONG. Go and buy some brussels sprouts, they are packed with iron. Then go to Google and ask:  Vegetables full of iron.  You can top iron up easily with the right diet.
    • Posted

Didn't say you CAN'T get your levels up.... I said its not easy. Life would be a bit boring (and windy) living on brussel sprouts....Ferrous Sulphate, if you are low in iron, is a quicker way to get your count up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.