Anaesthetic panic!

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am having TKR tomorrow morning and have spent the last week stressing over the anaesthetic. The hospital heavily encourage spinal but I can choose full anaesthetic. I can't bare the thought of any risk of hearing anything!!!! I can choose full anaesthetic but they give the impression the pain is much harder to vitriol after. Is this true or is it a cost cutting exercise on their behalf? I've almost forgotten about the surgery as so consumed worrying about the anaesthetic!!! Advice please?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had both a spinal block and a general. I was ill after the operation but I was not aware of any part of the operation. My sister had a block and heard sawing. Urk!
  • Posted

Mandy

I Had the spinal on my tkr 7 weeks ago. Felt jus like you... was petrified but don't worry. Tell anesthetist that you are really afraid and ask for additional sedation. I was compleatly unaware.. tecoveey is tough enough you can do without the added problems of nausea and coming out of anesthetic. All will be well. Good luck

• Posted

Hi I thought I was having general anesethic but on the morning of my op I was given choice of spinal I to was worried about hearing things and I won't lie I did hear things but the sedation is so good you don't take any notice . I'm glad I went for spinal because I didn't suffer the vomiting as I have done in the past with general. Hope all goes well

• Posted

I agree with all of your posts. I remember hearing a clunk or something but they had me back in sleepy land before I could even worry about it and because they sedate you so greatly it is not a problem. Wishing you the best of luck.
    • Posted

I've had experience being  operated upon, since my childhood.  Bobsleigh accident. Many 'big' operations. General anesthesia. Awful waking up every time. My spinal  three years ago. Now I would  take only spinal in case I need another operation. But, in combination with propofol (diprivan) sedation and  Mozart or Bach (not Bacham Turner Overdrive!) in the headphones.  Spinal, the best anesthesia for TKR and other othopedic procedures. Trust me 

• Posted

Hi Mandy

I'm 5 wks post op I had tkr and general anaesthetic with a nerve block and had no problems , have your painkillers whenever you need them and don't let the pain build up ,

Ice every 2 hrs for 20 mins and do your exercises regularly to get your rom , you will be in pain but it is bearable I think sleep is the worst

Good luck and take care

Rob xx

• Posted

Hi Mandy,

when I had my bilateral tkr's a year ago, I was given a spinal and a full anaesthetic. I know what you mean about hearing things.  Maybe they sedate you as well as the spinal?  There will be a lot going on and I cant imagine being awake for it.  I know they tend to not give full anaesthetic when we're getting older because of the risks but I myself, would prefer it.  Sure to Bev a lot of sawing and hammering going on.  Do what you're comfortable with.  Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll be fine. 

Sue xx

• Posted

I would be choosing a full anaesthetic myself when I have my surgery I will choose not to have the spinal !! Take care and good luck with your surgery 😀

• Posted

Hi Mandy, I would recommend 'spinal'. Compared to full anesthesia, less sideeffects when you wake up. It's recommended by most anesthesiologist and ortopedic surgeons  world wide.  I had spinal  for my TKR operations  twice in Sweden and once here in Thailand. No need to be stressed over spinal anethesia. Trust me

• Posted

I make sure and tell the i have woke up nauseated before. They used to give you a shot to counter it. In June they gave me a pill before surgery. Woke up feeling great.
  • Posted

Hi Mandy.

I'm 13 days out from TKR. I had the spinal with twilight anesthesia, I told my surgeon going in that I do not want to hear anything, remember anything. I can say, I don't remember a thing and never heard anything. I woke up and it was over. My surgeon knew how important it was to me and the spinal block gave me an extra few days of not feeling the full impact of the knee replacement. The pain came on gradual and I was ready for it because I had rested in the first day. YOU GOT THIS! Trust your surgeon. I am a 51 year old triathlete who trusted their surgeon to do what was best for me and my lifestyle. I have starred a blog, it's called a journey of total knee replacement, day by day journal of what I have experienced through this journey, the good, the bad and even my ugly days. Maybe you'll find some comfort there..

• Posted

Hi Rob

How do I find your blog.

This would be very helpful to read your experiences

Many thanks

Mary

• Posted

I had a general a aesthetic for my first and a spinal for the second .  Much better with spinal , no after effects from anaesthetic . Only had very mild sedation , spent the time listening to music and talking to the anaesthetist . Heard some hammering and sawing but did not see or feel anything . Dont worry , and do your physio afterwards , it's painful to begin with but gets easier the more you do it . 

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will see if he can promise sedation deep enough for sleep. If he can PROMISE I will go for it. Eeeeekkk!
    • Posted

Good luck Mandy

Waiting 4 the update

This time soon it will b a distant memory

Rob xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.