Anal Advancement Flap - pain and infection

Posted , 5 users are following.

From other postings I gather this procedure can be very painful ( I fully  agree!!), but has anyone experienced any problems with infection and, if so, what treatment did you have, please?

Just had the procedure last week and received no post-op advice at all . 

Any help /advice welcome.  thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Aww sounds awful, i dont really know what you had done though, what exactly does this procedure involve if i may ask.

Sue

• Posted

Yes, not a pleasant experience but this is it ....

Advancement anal flaps

Advancement anal flaps involve taking healthy tissue from another part of your body and using it to repair the fissure, thereby improving blood supply to the site of the fissure.

This procedure can be recommended to treat cases of long-term (chronic) anal fissures, which have occurred due to pregnancy or an injury to the anal canal.

• Posted

Oh i wonder if its possible to give yourself an anal  fissure by contant scratching year after year externally and slightly internal too.
    • Posted

probably best to find out why the need to scratch as it could be one of several reasons.
  • Posted

Hi - Apologies I have no info to help you - as I am also looking for advice/information as my 23 year old daughter is scheduled to have an anal advancement flap - after 2 previouse surgeries (fissurecturectomy & botox) still did not help heal her chronic fissure (which causes her agony) All the info I have read says that it is very painful & also the recovery is slow & painful (I have not found much info on positive outcomes) So I hope you do not mind me joining your thread & hopefully there is somone out there that may help smile 
    • Posted

Hi I'm sorry I haven't had this done so this prob won't help. I've just had lateral internal spincterectomy. They said pain relief from the fissure should be really noticeable. I had the op done Monday and have been incredibly sore and still dripping blood. My surgeon told me this op was my best chance

Of healing it with this op. I've had 3 lots of botox which done nothing

Ivegot two chronic fissures. My surgeon told me to avoid advancement flaps x x

• Posted

Hi Dee

Sorry to hear your daughter is having these problems.  Hopefully at her age, her healing might be quicker and less painful.

I've seen the practice nurse and a GP today only to discover I have an infection so I'm on a double dose of antibiotics.  

I've also managed to get an early appointment with the Consultant and I will be asking why post-op advice is not being given.  I'll let you know if I get any useful advice.

Meanwhile, do keep exploring every possible avenue to get the information you need before the procedure.  I only knew what operation I was having when I saw the consultant a couple of hours before my op, so I didn't have the chance to investigate it first so didn't know what questions to ask. Until then I'd been told they were repeating the anal dilation and lateral anal sphincterotomy that I'd had at the beginning of March but it failed because no-one would provide the follow-up information I needed!

This lack of information/advice must be costing the NHS a fortune, which is such a shame because with the right information we could take more responsibility for our recovery.

sad   Good luck to your daughter

• Posted

Interesting that your surgeon told you to avoid advancement flaps, because my surgeon said it was my best option as it would then be unlikely I would need any further surgery in the future.

I just hope he was right.

I had the lateral sphincterotomy at the beginning of March and have to say, apart from the first couple of days when I bled quite heavily, the soreness eased quite quickly and I was pain/discomfort free within 2 weeks.  Unfortunately, because I was unable to get proper post-op advice, I needed this further surgery.

confused

• Posted

Hi tinkerbell,

i had an advancement flap last July. It was a very slow recovery.... You must take it very easy for at least 6-8 weeks. My consultants advice was to do no sitting what so ever for 2 weeks.

unfortunatly I have suffered nerve damage through this surgery, so am in more pain than when I started!

i found putting a blob of medi honey on the area at night helped.

good luck with your healing xx

• Posted

Hi Ojh3

I've just returned from a 5 day stay in hospital because my stitches burst due to infection.  Must say, as soon as the stitches went, so did the pain.  They're not re-doing the stitching as they say it will heal better on its own, which seems to be happening.  It does mean I have a rather large open wound but, hopefully, with very careful cleaning it will heal. 

I've been told not to use anything at all in that area until it's completely healed but will bear in mind your advice re medi honey.  Thanks

• Posted

Hi Ojh3 - How are things with your fissure now ? I am trying to find out about longer term outcomes - hope it is good , thanks Dee 

• Posted

Hi. I'm two weeks since my internal spincterectomy. 2/3 days after my op, my pain was chronic, I wanted to die rather than go through that stinging, throbbing burning pain. I couldn't hardly get about so rang go and starting antibiotics. My pain now is easing and I can go mostly pain free. I'm still in the recovery stage now but things are getting much easier. I just experience a little burning sensation after bowel movement. My surgeon said 2/3 weeks recovery time for me
    • Posted

Hi claire406 - Just wondered how you are now after 9 months post op (hopefully it is good news) ? My daughter is due to have an advancement flap & I am concerned & wonder whether the lis is better ? Thanks Dee
    • Posted

Hi. I'm mostly good thanks. I don't think it has totally healed over properly as when I poop, I do get a feel of a sore sensation but no longer the throbbing, wanting to die

sensation ! I think like others have said, its always going to be a highly sensitive area. I wouldnt really call it pain, just a bit

uncomfortable. The hospital said to come off lactulose but my doctor advised against. I wanted to continue to take it as never want to go through all again. I hope your daughter gets on OK and truly hope she recovers well. My consultant advised me against advancement flaps. I really hope it works for her. Xx

• Posted

Hi Tinkerbell321 - How are things going with your fissure now ? I hope it is better for you ? I am still trying to find some positive outcomes from advancement flap surgery. Thanks Dee 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.