Anal Fissure, Skin Tag and hemorrhoids, Botox? Help Please

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi All, I have posted a few replies on here to discussions and thought Id write my own as really feel I need some help and advice,

I am 25 female and have been suffering with hemorrhoids for years, 8 I think now, they resulted in a nasty skin tag and when I though it couldn't get worse, I have now had a fissure for over a year.

Anyway, after many GP visits etc, and fainting from pain, I finally got put on the NHS waiting list for botox and skin tag removal. I thought to myself this is great to get this done and will solve all my problems, as I can't continue life as it is now, right? I got a date sent to me last week for the surgery, meant to be today, much quicker than I thought (Surely they would have wanted to review before, the Surgeon hasnt seen me in over 6 months?!) but after reading so many horrible posts about Botox I postponed it, so they will be sending a new date.  But before I go ahead I really hope lots of you can advise me on your experience and give me information.

It is painful for me every day, I almost faint sometimes from the pain.  And for some reason for the past 2 weeks, I have lots of blood during EVERY SINGLE BM - why now??  And is this something I should be worried about if it is every single time?

I am tip top about diet and exercise, I only weigh 54kg, I am healthy and active all the time!

The advice that I really want from you all - should I do this botox?  Or should I accept life as it is now?? [sad] could things get alot worse if I go for Botox?

Also I don't know if I get 'spasms', what are spasms?  I am in pain for a long while after a BM is that what they are?

I look forward to hearing from you all xx

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

em 1989  welcome

If your loosing blood after a BM see ur GP straight away it may be a hemmeroid that's burst. as for the anal pain your getting ask you GP about Rectogesic 4mg 

cream . it's a ointment i was given by my  surgion for a fissular in ano (a tear in the bum) as a result of  a fistula abscess not healing properly . this cream is designed  to ease pain as it contains a anethetic that  numbs the area when passing a BM. and it goes just inside the rectum. i do hope you get someease from this pain , as for Botox this has never been disgussed with me and ive suffered for 12yrs with re occuring abscesses . i was on antibotics last week for a abscess in my groin that hasn't gone so rather than surgery im on another weeks course to see if it clears im also on the waiting list to see a dermotologist to have HS diagnosed to me that my doctor told me im suffering  from .like i said ive had this since 2001 and HS has never ever been mentioned to me until now . i do hopeu start to feel  pain free soon and good luck with your surgery xx let me know if this works as it may be something that i have to concider myself if i cant get ease also x we all here to help each other we all suffering with the same kinda thing  but in our own different way x 

• Posted

Emma uk66

Thank you for your reply, I don't think I have had abscesses but they sound extremely painful for you.  I had started taking vitamin e tablets a while ago which have helped my pain subdue a little but not much, every little helps - though I have recently read Vit e can increase the risk of prostate cancer, which even though we are women, can't be a good thing! I am still taking the remainder of mine but will stop once they run out - this cream that you have talked about how effective it is?  The doctor gave me one and she said it has anesthetic in it but it really does not do much for my pain sad I am worried though, that these creams are actually thining our skin therefore making tears easier to happen.

• Posted

Emma, I feel for you and support your concerns. With such a large number of haemorroids, a fissure and a tag, you will be bleeding. The blood loss is usually bright red, not large amount, but enough to scare the living daylights out of you every day. I have similar problems and until this last week, was in pain after BM for hours, until tea time. Now, if it is an hour, that's all it is. My GP instructed me to keep stools soft, but this is just unclear advice as I never thought I had a problem anyway. However, relief is slowly progressing and pain levels are dropping. I did find that hygiene was an issue and now wash two to three times a dayas I have a plan which works. Cold water compressing seems to help and probably takes some of the inflammation down. The pain is excruciating. Is yours worse sitting down? Mine was, getting into the car to drive to work. I don't know how I didn't have an accident. I am taking Fybogel and Duclolax, just one a day, to keep very soft stools and I am having relatively pain free BM's. They aren't great, but at least I'm not screaming any more. You know my biggest fear is that it is, or was, something more serious, but listening to you, I feel very sad that someone so young should be suffering so much. It is awful isn't it. Bathing regularly, absolute hygiene, medication and managing the condition better does help but I guess sometimes you must just feel like giving up. You have to do what the health professionals advise and what you want. No one's experience or advice can make you make the decision, it has to be yours because like everything else, individuals react differently to all drugs and treatments. I'm not sure what is meant by the spasms either. Apparently the sphincter is tight and like all muscles spasms, like crap, will be painfull, but I don't know if what I experience is that. The worst thing is being in pain all day and I can only say that very very soft bowel movements do help to remove some of the trauma. It's very gradual though and I expect further tearing would be very easily done without a lot of care. I've had no blood loss for a week now but it doesn't sound as much as yours.

Take health care professional advice, weigh up the pros and cons which affect you and not what other people experience - you'll be different. Don't make decisions on what others base their opinion on and be as informed as you can beforehand. Keep in touch let me know how you are xx Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue, thank you very much for your reply.  Everything you say I can relate to.  My heart goes out to you and others suffering with this too. Almost everyday can be a struggle...I went to NZ earlier this year and couldn't even enjoy alot of activities, sports etc due to the pain. I got a car to drive around and as you also say the pain while driving can be immense, even being on the travel bus with other 20 somethings the pain was always there affecting every minute of my plans, it really ruined my experience. I have to carry cream in my bag everywhere I go and I am paranoid in case someone sees it. It sounds silly, but this thing, mainly the fissure and skin tag almost rule my life.

Can I ask what your diet is like?  I am trying to stay away from drugs etc although my GP has never offered me any apart from Lactulose which makes me very gassy but it does help. Are you taking any vitamin supplements?  My problem is still very very bad, but since taking a number of vitamins (a guy actually listed them on this forum to help with this issue and he said he was cured) mine has got a bit better, still very painful, but better from what it was 6 months ago.  I had no blood yesterday..I have no idea why it was still so painful to go.  I have a feeling it will return today and it is very bad when it does, I know you say it isn't much, but mine seems to be alot, the only nice way to say that I feel its loads....is that I can see it coming out (sorry). Your right it scares the day lights out of me! I am battling emotionally with the fact my brain is telling me not to go to the toilet as I am always scared to, when in work it takes me so long and I can just feel my colleagues wondering what the hell Ive been at for 20 minutes as after I go I cannot sit down for a while (I work in an office) so I need to walk about, but I know it makes it worse if you don't go.

How long have you been having this for yourself?  How are you today? xx

• Posted

Hello em1989,

I had the botox surgery to treat 3 awefull fissures and I truly believe that the outcome of surgery depends on the individuals condition and how the person heals.  A person suffering from an acute fissure may get great results vs. A person with a chronic fissure. I decided to get surgery because blood was dripping from my fissure and I was in agonizing pain.  I went to the ER (emergency room I live in the USA) because I couldnt deal with the pain, what a waste of time because the doctor didnt know exactly what a fissure.  My surgery was on Sep 6, 2014 and initially I felt relief.   But now I feel like im having just about the same pain as before I had the surgery.   Sometimes botox is needed twice for best results. Have you tried any creams for pain relief or muscle relaxation??? Hot boths also help with the fissure pain.  Ive noticed that with the fissure, the sooner treatment begins the higher the chance you will have get rid of the fissure.  Ive heard success stories from the botox treatment and ive heard unsuccessful stories also.  I dont consider myself as having a successfull surgery.  It is really a hit or miss situation and the outcome is not something that can be predicted.  My doctor predicted that i would be out of work for one day.  I ended up being out of work for 3 weeks!!!!!  I thought i would be pain free after the surgery but im not im very dissapointed. If you decided to get the surgery i hope it works out well for you.  Sorry I dont have any advice on hemroids,  I never experienced them. Be positive,  Be positive, Be posite things will work out for you smile smile smile smile

• Posted

Hey 1931ndd, thank you also for your reply and advice.  I really appreciate it.  I am so so sorry that surgery has not worked for you, I can only imagine how disappointing that can feel.

The blood is also dripping from mine too when I go it is terrible sad The doctor did not know what a fissure was? I would say I am suprised, but actually I am not.  I asked 2 Doctors if I could avail of the HALO procedure to help with my haemorrhoids ...neither of them had ever heard of it and this treatment has been available in the UK for 3 years at least now.

I have been given Uniroid by my Dr which helps a little but your not supposed to use it for a long time, I fear it could be thining the skin making my problem worse.

My consultant advised that I will be out of work at least 2 weeks mainly due to me wanting the skin tag removed.  I think I have come to the conclusion that I want my body to resolve this fissure issue, it should be able to without surgery, so I am making my diet even better, going to exercise more, keep up my vitamins and up my water (even though I drink 2 litres a day!).

I do however, still want my skin tag removed, I need to phone the consultant, it is a massive step to say I dont want botox anymore as I will loose my place on the waiting list, but I hope he will still remove my tag and I hope I can fix the fissure on my own.

I am a positive person, sometimes with this though you forget all about the glass being half full, so it's nice to be reminded smile  Where are you at at the moment with everything now? xx

• Posted

Dear em 1989.

I am one of the patients who was botoxed twice within 10 months . After each treatment I went from bad to worse and sometimes wish I had my original complaints back , because painful though they were, I could live with them.

I have been diagnosed now with suffering frompermanent nerve damage brought about by the injections. I am finally getting successful pain treatment for neuropahtic pain, but I will have to be in it for the rest of my life.

What I do  not know yet is whether nerve damage on the point of injections are accidents which one has to reckon with or wether they are the result of botched injecetions and the surgeons fault.

As I believe my experience is a fairly unusal one I would not want to put you off from the botox injection, but I would discuss the danger of this with your respectiveive surgeon. He should be able to tell you how great the risk is, because there is nothing on  the  consent form to warn you of of nerve damage.I would be very interested how surgeon who performs these procedures every day assesses risk.

Don't forget,whatever medical intervention you undergo there is always the risk of somethings going wrong. The important thing is the risk factor.

Good  luck!

• Posted

Hi Suleika

This is a story I have heard a few times now with Botox which is why I am very much considering to say no to the botox surgery and try once again to tackle this on my own.

I am so sorry to hear about your outcome, it is shocking really what these things can do to us. Where you informed of this possible outcome? Who told you it was rare? I have read on a few forums where people have nerve damage as a result of this surgery.

I am glad what treatment you are receiving now is working, are you still in pain?

Keep in touch with us all xx

• Posted

Dear All

Apologies, I don't get on here much as I am sure you all know working full time and trying to have a life besides 'these issues' is quite difficult at times!

Thank you so much for each of your replies, I really really appreciate it, they have all helped in their own way.  I will reply to you all as I could do with some advice from different things that all of you had mentioned. xx

• Posted

Hi All.  I booked in for a colonic last week as some people have told me it helps with these problems, as i am desperate for surgery i booked in and had one today.  I never thought about the fact how it is done would hurt sad so at the moment all it has done is aggravate the fissure sad lots of pain all day hopefully it will get better soon. I'll let you all know 
    • Posted

Hi em1989 

I completely understand what your going through. I'm 24 and been suffering with a fissure and skin tags for over 2 years. It literally takes over your life. Where I am from Botox has been banned as it's more 'cosmetic' and doesn't always work. 6 days ago I had surgery called advancement flap. Basically they remove the whole fissure and tags and replace with skin near by. So far iv had no fissure pain at all. So fingers crossed this will work. :-) 

• Posted

Gosh. Can't imagine how you managed that. Hope it settles. Im trying all sorts of strategies. I wondered how you were after your last posting.  Takes over your life doesn't it.  

• Posted

Hi Em!

I too am 25 and have been suffering with an anal fissure for well over a year - though not quite as long as you! How you've managed I'll never know. I suffer with IBS and my problems started after a colonoscopy. I started getting pains shortly after the procedure. I was told I had hemorrhoids and given a number or creams, back and forth I went to my GP until they decided it was a fissure. I don't even know anymore if I still have hemorrhoids! I went for the botox treatment for the fissure in November after creams not doing anything. 

Unfortunately I haven't seen an improvement and it's been over 4 weeks. I still suffer excruciating pain during Bm and after and have bleeding. I can't say that the pain is worse but it's certainly not improved. I've heard it's more effective in new fissures. 

I'm due to go back in February to see my surgeon and I'm going to push for the op where they cut the muscle as I strongly feel this is the only way I will be eased of the pain! 

Please let me know how you get on and if you find anything that helps. I feel for you! At least we can all chat on here to share experiences! 

X

• Posted

Hey lhz31189

Just wondering how you are doing? Did you get the op where they cut the muscle? That seems very extreme! But if nothing else has worked for you...I can see why you want it!

I am desperate for this botox to work.

• Posted

Hi are you still suffering from a fissure and what was the pain like. As I'm going through an issue for over year and they can't find no infection.

• Posted

Hi Dan

No I don't have any pain or bleeding now. The botox cured my fissure thankfully.

• Posted

but when u had pain what was it like ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.