Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone has come across a person who has Intersex, "someone who has physical female genatalia but acts like a man", also known as "Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome". What are their mental make up and behaviour and other physical qualities? 

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is not a description of AIS.  AIS is a condition in females with XY sex chromosomes and variable ability to respond to testosterone.   Women with Complete AIS are physically 100% female.   Women with Partial AIS  may have some, or had some prenatally, response to testosterone.  
    • Posted

Ok, the i am referring to Complete AIS, not partial. 
    • Posted

Some XXY's are also PAIS (Partial) 

• Posted

About 10 years ago, I met two women who had female sex organs and they were raised as females. They both tried to suppress their agressive behavior when they were young, but disapponted that their parents raised them as girls. They both felt like they should have been males. But when they met and found out that they had the same background, they decided to become a couple. They did not feel like they were a lesbian couple, but they considered themselves as a intersexed couple.

It was a group meeting of intersexed people. At the time I felt I was an intersexed male. My chromosome pattern is xxy or 47 chromosomes.

Since it was my first and last contact with the intersexed group in Colorado (US), I have lost contact with them.

• Posted

I am not sure if intersex people have xxy or 47 chromosomes. And this refers to kleinferter's syndrome. 

Please correct me if I am wrong. 

I was thinking AIS folks are generally XY or male genetically, even though they may have FEMALE BODY as in Complete-AIS or somewhere in between female or male as in Partial- AIS.

• Posted

AIS has the following synonyms: Androgen Resistance Syndrome, Testicular Feminisation Syndrome, Feminizing Testes Syndrome, Male Psuedo-hermaphroditism, Goldberg-Maxwell Syndrome (CAIS), Morris's Syndrome (CAIS), Lubs Syndrome (PAIS), Reifenstein Syndrome (PAIS), Gilbert-Dreyfus syndrome (PAIS), Rosewater Syndrome (PAIS). Other XY conditions: 5 alpha-reductase deficiency, 17 keto-steroid reductase deficiency, XY gonadal dysgenesis (Swyer Syndrome), Denys-Drash Syndrome, Smith-Lemli-Opitz Syndrome. 

http://www.aissg.org/

• Posted

Intersex is a blanket term encompassing a great many Disorders of Sex Development.  

Intersex is old fashioned, inaccurate, and was never used by Endocrinologists.

When DSD (Disporders of Sex Developement)  was coined it was to replace  DSD (Disorders of Sex Differentiation)  DSD the acronym has existed a lot longer than 'intersex.'

In my opinion only 1 type of people are truly intersex, they being people born with ambiguous genitalia, roughly 1:250,000 people.  When these people were discovered investigations were undertaken to discover what sex they were supposed to have been.  Those tests included chromosome tests and hormone tests.

So-called 'intersex activists' like to everybody and anybody who's had chromosome and hormone tests as  being intersex, as they're such a very small number of people they really do need males and females to help them, so they pretend these others are intersex, when they are not.

• Posted

"So-called 'intersex activists' like to include everybody and anybody who's had chromosome and hormone tests as  being intersex, as they're such a very small number of people they really do need males and females to help them, so they pretend these others are intersex, when they are not."

• Posted

I beg to differ,DSD did in actual fact replace Intersex.Read consensus statement on management of intersex disorders, source US National Institute of Health. (this forum will not allow link) There are 37 different ways to be Intersex, XXY is one of them.
    • Posted

Well I refer to a document produced by the Americans too, it was first published in 1992, it is called Williams Textbook of Endocrinology  8th Edition, and it has a chapter titled "Disorders of Sex Differentiation" pp 853-951

I was diagnosed in 1976.  

So just on sex differentiation it is substantive.  ALL SCA's (sex chromosome aneuploidies) are included in its pages, as well as what would now be called AIS females, CAH people, and others formally called Hermaphrodites.  

So DSD, (disorders of sex development) for the Endocrinologists,  did indeed replace DSD (disorders of sex differentiation).  In my book 'intersex' is not mentioned at all, well if it is, I've not seen it.   In all the time I was being treated by my Endocrtinologiost he never used the word 'intersex' in any of his letters to me, or my doctors about me.    

In fact I asked him directly "Is intersex aplicable to decribe me or any XXY guys?"   And his response was "No, it's not nearly accurate enough"

And the reason I have a copy of this book is because I saw it on my Endocrinologists bookself for much of the time I was under his care, until the 9th edition was published, then he had a copy of the 9th edition.  So my copy may well be the copy he used?

This forum does allow links, but they have to be approved by the Moderator, to make sure they're not inappropriate.

You can describe yourself as intersex if you like, you can't describe me as intersex as my sex has always been male, and always will be male, until I die.  I don't mind having disorders, disorders do not define me.  I have disorders fixed.  Intersex supposedly can't be fixed, intersex is supposed to be a natural formation of sex development.    

I really do wish this site had spell checking, or at least the ability to edit?

• Posted

Is the word, Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome mentioned in your book ? 
    • Posted

Intersex is XY chromosome always, meaning a male,

(technically called AIS, Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome,

but physically they are female with vagina and uterus,  or

they can be male or female combined in physical characteristics,

• Posted

No.  biggrin   AIS is the new phrase for Female Pseudohermaphrodite or  Complete Androgen Resistance.  

Klinefelter's Syndrome  is found under Seminiferous Tubule Dysgenesis.

The only condition I know of that's consistant   with todays lingo is Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia.      

• Posted

OK, AIS is called Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. It can be Complete like you described above, or partial (male Plus female). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.