Anemia and anxiety, help

Posted , 4 users are following.

My backstory. I received a letter stating to follow up with my PCP due to my iron levels being 10 (for anemia). Now got this letter two days before bleeding straight and heavy for two days on what was the heaviest period of my life. Also a couple of days ago my doctor heard a heart murmur of which I was told could occur with patient who have anemia(flow murmur). Go figure right

So after the first day of bleeding I bexamenincredibly weak and went to my urgent care with high blood pressure and weakness. They gave me an IV bag and sent me back to work. Had to take the next two days off. I feel so weak it's making me depressed and anxious. On and off shortness of breath, chest pain, light headedness and absolutely no strength to do anything (mind you before I started bleeding I had ran 3 miles).

I was put on an iron supplement and am going back in two days to test my levels again hoping they've gone up (they had to go down from 10 due to the heavy bleeding). Is anyone in the same boat as me? I've been very depressed in bed, crying im 22 old and should be training for an upcoming police academy. Will this go away?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Are you on birth control?? That could help with the heavy bleeding. I am much older (45) but this past summer I bled heavily for 6 weeks..my levela went down to 5.6 and i had to receive two units of blood..after that i was on iron supplements three times a day and my iron went up to normal aftet about 2 weeks but that was also with the blood transfusions. I think with you being so young that of you are not the pill I would definitely look into that to help regulate your cycles!
    • Posted

I'm not on birth control I've just been stressed out and I blame the heavy early period for the stress...I lost a lot of blood in two days it almost scared me. I pray I don't need a blood transfusion when the doc gets my results but at the same time I just want to feel better!!

• Posted

When you say iron is a 10 are you talking about hemoglobin?
    • Posted

Yeah it's suppose to be 12-15 but that 10 was before I started bleeding heavily:-(

• Posted

I feel your pain as a senior in high school having a horrible year because of this crap. I experience those same syptons on a daily basis now and its making my after school activities nearly impossible. I would continue to take the iron and also find out the cause of your heavy periods or if theres another cause of anaemia. Best of luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.