Anemic and feeling awful

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this so to cut a long story short I am 32 and a type 1 diabetic in the past two weeks I have been taken to hospital twicewith chest and left arm pain and rapid heart beat had 2 ecgs and blood tests and all okay said i was having panic attacks. I have never suffered from these and lead a happy life. I since visited my own doctor who advised she had looked at blood tests and I am really quite anemic didn't tell me exact numbers. I have been put on 210mg ferrous fumerate tablets 3 daily have been taking these for nearly a week. I still feel terrible tired weak really faint tingling in face and neck can't focus and nauseous. I have two young children and it is really bringing me down I just want to feel even a bit better. How long did it take anyone to feel bit better and should I go back to doctors to say I'm not feeling any better.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are exactly the same as me but I didn't have any pain just rapid heart beat they said it was anxiety but later my doctor told me I was anaemic I was put on ferrous fumerate 3 times a day that was in July and I've just come off them, I felt terrible for about a week and slowly started picking up. Have plenty of iron rich foods and take your tablets with orange juice before meals. You'll soon start to feel yourself again!

It really annoys me how they put everything down to panic/anxiety I have to say all this has caused a lot of stress for me being scared about my heart I'm now having CBT. Hope you get well soon x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply it's good to hear from someone who has felt this way and is now on the mend. The past few weeks have been really stressful and has made me feel so low. Im hoping il feel better in the next few days with a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old boy I need all the energy I can get. I feel the same as you I was just told it's anxiety and they wanted to give me anti depressants until they actually looked at my blood tests and realised it wasn't.
    • Posted

Mine all started in July last year I had my baby I February and thought I'd lost a lot of blood but nobody said anything, eventually the rapid heart beat started and I'm still terrified to this day I thought I was going to die and it's scared me that much I don't know if I could have anymore children I'm only 22. I'm now taking a multivitamin with 100% of my iron daily, I don't want my levels to drop again it will knock me back so bad.

You might feel rubbish as your body is getting use to them but if you feel the same after another week go to your doctor as they might not suit you so they will be able to give you something else.

It is comforting to know that what we experienced was a effect of anaemia and now we're on the mend we should be ok, I never realised anaemia could be so awful!! I will now take my multivitamin religiously I've always been a slacker when it comes to eating properly and excercise but I'm underweight sad that scares me too but running around after a baby is hard work lol

I'm glad I've been of help to you! Think positive it won't be long and you'll feel like a new person smile

• Posted

Hi Lynsey, sorry you are having difficulties with your health. Diabetes is not a simple thing. It can be a real balancing act. My ex husband was type 1 as well and each day was never like the other. Blood sugar levels fluctuate all day everday depending on activity levels and what foods are consumed. I have to say it truly took many many months for him to adjust to living as a diabetic. When my x had low blood sugar, he felt week, faint, heart palpitations and sweats. When his sugar was high, he would be very lethargic and disorientated. So, some of your symptoms might be related to the biabetes. Depending on how low your iron is will dictate how quickly you start to feel better. If it is very low it could 3 to 6 months to get your levels to good numbers. But the good news is you will certainly feel better once you get there. If you find yourself feeling unhappy with your insulin therapy you may want to see an endrionologist. Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.