anemic and thyroid is off

Posted , 8 users are following.

I went to go see my Dr last week because I was feeling well. I was feeling tired,sleepy,jittery,depress,anxious, lost of appetite,nauseous,light headed,headache,trouble sleeping at night,cold and some pain on my upper stomach. When she walked in the room she checked my blood work that I had last yr in sept 2015 because i was feeling about almost the same way as i did this time .but this time i was like dying.the rrason she showed me my blood work from last sept was because i never went backšŸ˜• sooo she told me the blood work from sept showed I was anemic and my thyroid was off. Could this be the reason why I feel like I'm dying !??? She prescribe me some iron pills that i need to take two times a day which have 325mg .had me do a blood test again and wants to see me next Wednesday. Which I will be there for sure. But what i don't understand why have me wait a week to see how bad is my thyroid and anemia. I have been taking the iron pills for 5 days and I'm still not feeling well .I know it takes months but i am still feeling bad and my anxiety has gotten worse. And been feeling really depress,arms and legs hurt, still feeling lightheaded, stomach discomfort and i have been jerking here n there like my leg or arm all of a sudden jerks. I think my tongue is swollen because I have teeth marks on the side of my tongue which I noticed 4 days ago. I regret not asking my Dr how low was my iron and how bad was my thyroid. In that moment I wasn't feeling well. I thought I was going to pass out. She also prescribe me medication for my dizziness. What if my iron is really low and need blood transfusion or what if I need meds for my thyroid. I also forgot to mention that I was diagnosed with lupus in 2011. I was surprised that the Dr told me my thyroid was off because all the Dr that I would go see in the past yrs said my thyroid was fine after I had bad anxiety and depression and would just prescribe me meds which I never took because I knew it had to do with something else.I always had a feeling there was something stuck in my throat that would bother me when in would swallow and hoerseness but drs never paid me any attention. could it had been sign of my thyroid My question is could it be I'm feeling this bad because my iron and thyroid have gotten worse and does thyroid has to do with me feeling anxiouse ,depressed and slowen tongue? And does it take yrs for blood work to show that your thyroid is off and poeple with autoimmune disease like lupus have under active or overactive thyroid ?sorry for making it a long story but my husband sometimes thinks its all in my head so I am kind of alone Here lol

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amber, sounds awful. Write down a list of your symptoms, comcerns and questions. Ask for a double appointment so youre not rushed. You should see an endocrinologist. If you havent been referred, push for a referral via your GP. If youre worried about swollen tongue and throat, make an emergency appt ot go to casualty dept. Im no expert, hence seeking advice here myself. I have also found lots of advice on the Thyroid UK website. Im sure youll get lots of helpful advice as the day goes on. Take care x
  • Posted

I believe the thyroid has them symptons too Have you not been given levthroxine yet? Or do you have to have another blood test done?
    • Posted

They had another blood test done. So I need to wait until next Wednesday to see my dr šŸ˜• I was only prescribe ferrous sulfate 325mg. Do drs usually have patients retake the blood work to see how bad it is and then prescribe them with meds? I would thought my Dr would of prescribe me something for my thyroid as soon that she found out it was off.
  • Posted

Amber, when you say your thyroid result was 'off', what do you mean. Could you post the test you had done and the ranges and the result. There are people who look at these discussions who are really knowledgeable about things like that. In the UK you can get a 'trial of levothyroxine, for an under active thyroid, if you have symptoms but the test (TSH) is 'normal'. What you are feeling sounds horrible and needs sorting.Ā 
    • Posted

That day I didn't check the results of my thyroid. She just looked at them and said well you are anemic and your thyroid is off And said I had to do another blood work and prescribe me iron pills. I called them two days asking if they get the blood work results before my appointment if I could be seen because I wasn't feeling good .they told me they will call me when they recieve them and blood work comes back abnormal. Every time my phone rings I always hope that its them šŸ˜
    • Posted

The reason I didn't pay attention to the results was because I wasn't feeling good. I was feeling really bad that I wanted to cry.
  • Posted

Hello Amber:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

When you have low iron, you will feel sleepy, feel out of breath, become pale in your face, lose your abilty to have energy, and faint.

We need to have our minerals in our body in good shape. Many of us women can be low in iron over our lifetimes. Sometimes it comes from our bodies not making enough New RED Blood cells. When the body senses low iron it stops or takes much longer to make red blood cells. Sometimes after pregnancy.

So please take the iron tablets with food and your feces may turn black and that means the iron is working in you.Ā  That is normal to happen.

Once your iron level gets better you will feel good. You will have more energy. The RED BLOOD cells carry oxygen around the body.Ā  So it is very important to get iron. It can take 2 to 3 weeks to make new Red Blood Cells and sometimes we have to help our bodies out.

Eating Spinach and darl leafy green foods and Liver will help get you iron from foods.

People withthyroid disease can be low in iron so have your TSH level checkd and your T4 and T3 levels so you can find out if your thyroid is okay.

Give yourself a bit of time and see how you feel.

Keep us posted on how you feel, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks for responding! I have a questionmy stool was black but now its not black anymore is that OK? Or does it mean my body is not obsorbing the iron anymore?
    • Posted

Hello Amber:

Our stools may or may not turn black.Ā  Depending on what you eat and what you take the iron with.Ā  It normally gets darker and even a dark brown color with specks of black. Also depends on how much bile is in the intestines too. Most people have light brown to dark brown stools.Ā  Iron can just make it darker brown.

So it does not mean it is not absorbing.Ā  Blood will show a level when tested.Ā 

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hello. I have a question. Besides makimg sure she checked my tsh t4 and t3levels should i have her check my vitamins? Someone on here told me to have her check my folate,vitd,vitb12,zink,potassium,magnesium,selenium,calcium and she could remember the rest.or should i wait and see if what she tells me about my thyroid and tale the medication for a while and see if helps me.
    • Posted

Hello Amber:

They call it a mineral panel.Ā  It should include: Potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, ferritin, iron, selenium, zincĀ  and since many of us with thyroid disease have lowĀ  in Vit. D, we need a Vit D level and also a B-12 level.Ā  Many of us have low B-12.Ā  B-12 helps make needed red blood cells. If it is low you will feel sleepy and lack energy.

It sounds like a lot of blood but it is all important to do.Ā  I myself, have low Vit D and B-12 so it is wise to check all minerals and Vitamins our body needs.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Ā Hi just read your post and sounding quite a like. The last part I felt more relive not to me.Ā 

Re:Ā 

The tongue swallow etc ask to see dermatologist and be tested for (symptatic Dermographism ) just tested positive for this abnd starting treatment good luck let me know how you get onĀ 

Ā 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.