Angiogram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone had complications after/during an Angiogram ( I've heard different stories.

( thanks in advance )

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

​The only thing bad that I have experienced with an Angiogram is I sprung a leak after the catherter was removed but was quickly dealt with and all was good. When I went for my very first Angiogram I was advised of the complications  that may occur but I was also told it is very uncommon, but there's an "although" it could occur more easily in the elderly.

• Posted

My angiograph had no catheter / venflon. No contrast.

I didn't realise they were supposed to. It just showed main arteries in neck.

• Posted

Yes I've had complications. Vasospasm (in my arms afterwards), Heart attack / s and Aortic dissection rolleyes​ And I'm still here, nothin' to it cheesygrin
    • Posted

Nothing to worry about at all  smile ....lol

​Actually they use your wrist as the entry point nowadays, but like every thing there are associated problems that may occur, they make you aware of all those at the time of the Angiogram. I've had 3 Angiograms first one I thought I was having a stroke but all it was , was the catheter entering the heart and gave it a flutter...I think....lol...I did mention this to my cardiologist several years later at the second one, he went crook at me for not telling him the feeling I experienced on the first Angio, second one was when I sprung a leak in the groin, third Angio went like clock work, in and out with in 20-30 minutes, not the news I wanted to heaer but now I know what's going on......

If you're nervous they will / should offer you medication to relax

• Posted

thanks for the info, the thing is I'm always in the frame if there are complications to be had I'm the one that will have them.

• Posted

I'm in the same boat smile , I'm the same with medications, there are lots of medicines that I can't take, either I'm allergic or have severe side effects to them,
    • Posted

If it's your first investigatory Angio then they're pretty harmless, maybe just a little spasm or headache (for a day or two) to look forward to smile
    • Posted

I'm used to the hedaches using the nitro spray.....lol
  • Posted

I wouldn't have another unless my life depended on it. Was told it was a simple procedure with no pain. Was treated very badly in my opinion. Had a premed that wore off by the time it started and ended up being knocked out. I considered taking legal advice and never received any reply to my letter complaining about it. 
  • Posted

Hi Howard, I also sprung a leak which put me off straight away but was sorted quickly also took a bit for my right knee to come back to life but overall wasn't that bad.
    • Posted

Mild furring but nothing to worry about.....I was just happy I had a spasm on the table and they finally diagnosed my condition 😊
  • Posted

hello all I am a newbie to this forum, I thought I would have a look and see if there was any info on angiograms as I am to have my first soon, this discussion was the first thing I saw (begginers luck !)A few of you mention that you "sprang a leak" can anyone tell me what this means please ?
    • Posted

for me it was post angigram, and from the artery in the wrist, i had just had tourniquet thing taken off and was happily chatting to the person next to me when his daughter pointed out i was dripping on the floor and kindly whent to get the nurse... the nurse soon persuaded my wrist to behave... and I was kicked out an hour later. very happy. whole thing was calm and colected and just dealt with... though i was very impressed at how quickly the red stuff comes out..........
    • Posted

thanks for your reassurance I was beginning to think it all sounded a bit scary , ! best wishes
    • Posted

It is all scary but also very simple and straightforward.... i was scared stiff on going down... worried at times all through and not chuffed with my leak.... but... here i am several weeks later and hey if i can do it you can!, but dont be afraid but i guess saying dont be nervous is daft of me so all i can say is all good wishes and hope yours goes even smoother than mine did! and you get a good result too!!!!! 
    • Posted

thanks for that, I guess I have to keep the end result in mind ! I know there is a problem so  better to know what it is and deal with it I guess (looks so easy and simple when written down !) best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.