angry and depressedgoing

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed 2.5yrs ago with coeliac disease after 10yrs of digestive issues. The problem is that I'm struggling with disordered eating as a result. I'm really angry that it took 10 yrs and my body is destroyed (I have osteoporosis, anaemia, I'm badly underweight). I'm so angry as the only solution I was offered was to go to an eating disorders unit. There is no understanding that I still have problems absorbing foods and even though I'm eating more I'm not putting on any weight. Even the rheumatologist tells me to just put on weight. It just isn't happening. It's making me mad. I recently started on digestive enzymes and they're helping. Has anyone else got any other tips/suggestions? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elleng,

THIS is Celiac.  Those of us with it suffer with you.  We understand.  We emotionally understand, we physically understand, we socially understand, we intellectually understand, we spiritually understand.  I would first suggest you quit trying to convince your doctors. Find someone who know. It will take far too long to bring those with bias up to date. "Just gain weight. Just stop eatting bread. I made it myself without gluten - I'll be offended if you don't just try a piece. Oh, she/he is a nutcase. They just want attention. I have allergies too..." I make my own peanut butter with olive oil. I have just a bit on gf rice cake with bananas.  That is my morning ritual. I BBQ my own chicken 3-times pper week and freeze foods to take on trips.  If you wish I will give you a list of items I can safely eat. It really is not problem at all - the list is short. Let's get you evened out. Let's get your fighting head in the game and get you spritually and emotionally ready to stay in the battle - Laurie 

• Posted

Hi Laurie,

I've long thought peanut butter causes problems.  What ingredients in peanut butter cause problems?  How do you make yours?  I love peanut butter, and I am so limited in what I can eat.

• Posted

Hi Susie4016,

Peanuts! I make my peanut butter with peanuts and a bit of extra virgin olive oil. The secret is cracking your own. A 2# bag takes me about 1-1/2 hours to crack. 2# in your blender or food processor. The jury is still out for me on Trader Joe's. It "might" be okay but I'm tired of taking chances.

Laurie

• Posted

Laurie,

Thanks so much.  Where do you buy your peanuts?  I haven't seen any in stores for a long time.

• Posted

Hi Susie,

Most large grocery firms have them in plastic bags in the produce section.  They are still in the shells and therefore all the more protected.  Like I said, Trader Joe's is supposed to be fine.  I have called and they have a wholly didicated manufacturing firm but frankly, well, you know how much we fear contamination.  Hang in there.  You are not alone!

Laurie

• Posted

This is all so helpful.  Without this forum I would feel all by myself with this challenge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.