ankalosing arthritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have seen the consultant after gp referal for seronegative arthritis. Am now being tested for ankalosing arthritis. I have researched

Online , I have non of these symptoms. I am puzzled. I have very swollen fingers morning stiffness pain slow to get moving in my hands and walking. My fingers on both hands tingle and have numbness. I drop things constantly, have difficulty opening jars using key to open the door general weakness in hands. If sitting for long periods when I get up I have a rippling sensation from my neck down my back to my feet. Tomorrow I go for xrays on my hands and lower back. I'm really worried now because I think we are on the wrong track

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

i guess the rheumatologist will just  pursue possibilities until he can get a clear diagnosis for you. Certainly the swollen fingers and morning stiffness sound like you are with the right consultant. I know that everyone is different    And as you are seronegative it may not be as easy to diagnose what kind of inflammatory arthritis you may have. It takes some patience as they work through tests and then treatments to see what will help. Hope you get some answers soon.

• Posted

Hi Riwbirdie

Today I had xrays on my hands and spine and a bone density test. 2 weeks then back to consultant. Today my fingers hurt and the heel of my both hands right shoulder painful stiff and loss of movement and left elbow aching. Today is a very down day but its also raining .. Its winter now in western Australia tonight its cold cant find my hot water bottle and I'm fed up! I know somethings not right I just need to know what's wrong 😢

• Posted

Oh that s miserable!

All sounds like RA. I m in uk so there is a set path to pain relief and treatment , which takes some time to see if it works. Don't know how it works for you in Australia . You DEF need 1 if not 2 hot water bottles! In fact I invested in an electric under blanket you can leave on for a hour or all night at different settings. I was told to keep moving the joints ( open and closing hand, circling wrist, feet, lifting arms and bending knees)even if painful,but don't strain the joints while they are inflamed eg carrying heavy stuff.etc

good you can see consultant in 2 weeks and hopefully get some medication to help pain in short term and hold back disease in long term

• Posted

I have a similar problem.

My GP seems to have ruled out RA because my bloods were okay (apart from anaemia) and is now sending me for lots of pointless tests on my back.

I have similar symptoms to you in the hands, as well as morning stiffness but my doctor is ignoring these and concentrating on the hand numbness to support his theory that the problem is in my spine.

It's like he is trying to make my symptoms fit his diagnosis rather than make a diagnosis to fit my symptoms.

He didn't even examine my hands.

I can't help you; I can only sympathise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.