ankle after lapidus

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm on day 18 from a lapidus and am non weight bearing for 6 weeks.my question is about my ankle its giving me some pain as it's stiff.my left foot is pretty much stuck in the relaxed position of it pointing to the right foot.its so stiff when I wear my surgical boot it rubs the side because my foot keels pointing.I'm starting to do more ankle stretches bringing my foot up and down and trying to point it over to the left but I'm only day 18 do I need to be nerves about stretching it too much? has anyone had something similar?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nemo,

Keep movin' ;-) I am 28 days post from an Austin Bunionectomy. No bandages as of 5 days ago. My doctor said I'm good to go and to do whatever I can tollerate, I will not injure my foot at all. So I am back to hiking and I'm very happy! I mentioned to him that my ankle and arch were a bit sore. He said to deeply massage the whole foot and toe around the incision too. Do it a lot, don't baby it. Plus keep doing all the other exercises. He said the pain, swelling and stiffness is caused by scar tissue buildup (lactic acid). The massaging dissolves it back into the body. Worked for me. Make certain you ask your doctor if it's ok first though, may not be good for you. Sending healing energy!  

• Posted

thanks for the pointers! I haven't been instructed to do ant massaging yet though.I think my 6 week appt will include that as that's when I technically start physicsl therapy.I need to keep stetrchjng I suppose.
  • Posted

Did your doctor tell you to do those streches??
    • Posted

yes only ones I've been told to do are big toe stretches and ankle rotations and Rollin foot over a cold water bottle
    • Posted

Then only do the ones he gave you, I had the same pain, hang in there it gets better, dont worry, its normal, hang in there, in a few weeks you will start PT and it will help so much!!
    • Posted

thanks im planning to only focus on what my dr said.just trying to get my ankle to be more flexible.it will take time but is quite uncomfotable until then.how is your recovery going lately?
    • Posted

Hello Nemo, like all the others have said its best to do what the doctor has said. I am 9 weeks post op and my ankle is really sore..... Not sure why this is perhaps being in the surgical boot for 4 weeks caused me to walk funny. My physio has said it will get better in time. I do hope so. Anyway keep up with the excercises it will help your recovery.

Good Luck.xx

• Posted

Nemo

your ankle is going to be sore for some time.

muscle wastage is quite quick, and as it seems to be enjoying the lazy style of life, it's going to hurt when you push it back into action.

dont do anything but what your doctor says.

lapidus is a b?????r of an op, remember 6 weeks for the bones to heal, and before weight bearing.

caroline

• Posted

yes I'm following Dr orders but its at the point where I cant really west the boot because my foot points so far over it's angled in the boot and causes pain.I'm stetetching it constantly and haven't gotten. to rotate it fully but am trying. hope it hurries and straightens i don't want it to mess up my weight bearing at 6 wks
    • Posted

With a lapidus bunionectomy, I had mine 29 days ago, I was "ordered" to actually stop wearing the boot just 5 days after my surgery. Doctor said to wear any supportive shoes that felt comfortable to me (my tennies with the inserts out and laces wide open). To try to walk as normal as possible. It hurt (ouch!!) and I was a slow turtle but it did get much better. My calf and back pain went away too. Ask your doctor for sure. The pain may be because you are compensating too much by wearing two different kinds of shoes. Everyone has different circumstances and doctors orders of course. Guess I'm surprised about you wearing the boot so long especially if it causes you pain in a funny position. Keep smiling Nemo...it gets better every day ;-) 
    • Posted

I see your point Vic but I'm actually non weight bearing for 6 weeks so I'm not walking only surgical boot at all.just crutches.
    • Posted

Oh yikes...soooo sorry ;-) Thinking of you for sure!! Being patient is very hard...but think of it as the hardest part is over. Bless your heart.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.