Ankle Fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I wanted to ask if anyone has had an ankle fusison and was it a success?

I am 43 and I may need one soon but want to weigh up my options

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

On 2nd April I had my TaloNavicular joint (fusion) surgery. When I left the hospital the following day I was in pain (a nightmare) despite the painkillers provided. Today I am no longer on painkillers but the pain of the surgery is constantly present. I feel that it might take up to a year for me to recover fully. I have two crutches and an Air-boot. It is hard to walk and it hurts. I have now retunred to work so you can imagine the pain as I walk to the bus or from the train to the workplace. I am still positif. One day the pain will go away; I will be healed and I will return to my sport activities. For now it is nothing but pain to be honest.
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear that but thanks for your reply

I hope the pain goes away soon

• Posted

I had Talonavicular surgery Apr 22. I am in a hard fiberglass cast for 3 more weeks (7 weeks total) and non weight bearing. I was off the pain meds two days after surgery. I haven't really had much pain. I do have to be careful to keep my foot elevated as much as possible or it swells and makes the cast tight and uncomfortable. I am getting around on a knee scooter and that has been very helpful. Crutches would be a nightmare. I wish I could tell you how the recovery is, but I'm not there yet. I'm just hoping that the recovery is not long and the pain I had before the surgery has been alleviated. I will chime in on recovery when I'm finally there. My Dr did tell me that this surgery is a BIG deal.
    • Posted

Just thinking of the op, how are you now? Can you run again? Has the pain gone
  • Posted

HI,

I just had ankle fusion surgery 8 weeks ago. Was in a bandage cast with a splint for 2 weeks, then went into a cast for 5 weeks. Just went into a walking boot, and using a cane for a month. He fused 2 bones together just below my ankle joint, and put in 3 screws, and 2 plates. everything is healing fine, and im doing really well. Hes really happy with the progress. Its not as bad as its all cracked up to be. Right after surgery i had a knee scooter to get around as I couldnt put any weight on my foot at all, so that helped ALOT!!  I had arthritis in it, and he scrapped it out. Im not having any pain, and feeling great. He said that I can start driving again with out the boot, and just take it slow for now. 

Hope this helps!!!

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Sue thinking of having the op, how are you doing? Pain free? Back to normal walking? Simon
    • Posted

HI Simon, 

I had surgery on my foot again a month ago. The first fusion didnt take, and had pain in my nakle, and entire foot.. He went back in, took out the old hardware, cleaned it out, cleaned the hardward ( 3 screws, 2 plates), opened up the other side of my foot, cleaned that out, found fibrus tissue in the original incision area, and put in more screws, and plates. had the ace wrap with a splint for 2 weeks, then in a cast for 4 weeks. Im going back on friday. Hopefully i can be out of the cast, and lose the scooter. im over it, and want m life back. 

thanks for checking on me

• Posted

Mark, mine was also talonavicular, and i had pain for about 2-3 days. Im not having any pain now.  I had crutches til i feel on my foot with them, and as i said before, i had the knee scooter. My boot is also the air boot. I was able to wiggle my toes, and gently move my foot around in the fiberglass cast. 

Im very happy with the outcome, and NO MORE pain from the arthirits... yay!!!

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi mark80905

I've had my left ankle fully fused (8 years ago) when I was 19 and my right ankle partially fused (2 years ago) when I was 27 - this was as a result of injuries from a car accident that left me with arthritis and chronic pain.

The left ankle was a fusion of the talonavicular and left me with very little pain once I'd recovered from the surgery. But it also means you have a stiff ankle that doesn't move, so driving a manual car, walking on beaches or on inclines and numerous other things can become challenging. It has also meant that I now, nearly 9 years on, i have developed arthritis in the joints of my toes.

Everyone's different and has different outcomes. But from the point of view of reducing pain it was a success, just do what the surgeon tells you to make sure you get a good 'union' (is. no smoking, don't weight bear till told etc).

Unfortunately the right was not a success, although there was successful union, I have been left with chronic pain. But as I said earlier, that was a partial fusion, didn't want two feet/ankles that there were completely stiff..but looks like I'm headed that way anyway sad

I hope my response helps a bit and if you have any other questions just ask.

xoxo

• Posted

My dr said that I would still have full mobility in my ankle; that I wouldn't notice any difference. I specifically asked the question. I hope he is right.

• Posted

you will.  i full movement in my ankle and foot. still a little sore, but thats normal. im really happy with the results. 
    • Posted

It depends on the joint being fused. My left ankle is completely stiff, absolutely no movement, but my right ankle had a partial fusion and that still goes up and down just not side to side.

I'm sure, if you asked your surgeon specifically, then the answer he gave you is correct. You could always ask him again if you're concerned. Sorry if I worried you!! Didn't mean to, was just giving my experience of an ankle fusion smile

Good luck with your op (if you go ahead with it)

xoxo

• Posted

Mine goes up, and down, and not side to side yet. If anything, it will go the right after the rest of the swelling goes down, and goes stronger. I know that it wont go to the inside (left) because of the fusion, and thats normal. Im having absolutely no problems with my foot, jsut alittle soreness as Im in awalking air boot, and on a cane, so it does get sore thru the day. Thats what ibuprofen is for..lol!!! Hope your all healing well. 

sue

• Posted

Hi Mark, did you have the fusion? Was it Talonavicular fusion? How are you getting on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.