Ankle sprain..still not better after 9 weeks.!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Sorry in advance for the long post but I am really worried about my ankle.

Nine weeks ago I fell down some steps onto a patio and severly sprained my ankle. I couldn't walk on it for over two weeks and then only on tip toe. It swelled up  so much I thought my foot would burst and although  it has gone down it's still very swollen around the ankle joint. It has been so painful I kept going back to first A and E and then doctors. I was always told it's sprained do these exercises..walk on it etc Thing is when I walk on it it swells even more and becomes so painful even the touch of a duvet cover hurts.

My doctor finally sent me for an ultra sound which revealed two tornligaments peroneal(??) tendon longus sheath inflamed and a tear in the peroneal (not sure if that's right) brevis tendonplus fuid on the ankle.

A consultant put me in a walking cast and I am now awaiting MRI scan to further assess the damage. I have been off work for two weeks (I'm a teacher so the majority of this was in the school holidays) and the doctor has signed me off again.

The thing is I am really scared it will never get better. It still hurts so much and even in the boot i accidentally trod on one of the dogs soft toys and it hurt so much it brought tears to my eyes.

Could I have damaged it by trying to use it when they said it's a sprain use it.. ?

I don't know what to expect-surgery has been mentioned as an option. Also I feel guilty and scared about missing work but as ateacher I am on my feet all day and I couldn't cope with that.

Has anyone been in a similar position?

Saying you've sprained an ankle sounds so lame (no pun intentded) but I have never felt so disabled in my life!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

~intended NOT intentded!! typed too fast lol
  • Posted

Hi Angie. I would rest your leg and ankle completely and have it elevated whenever possible. I am far worse off than you as I have had major Surgery on my ankle that was 3 weeks ago after a bad fall.I have plates and screws, I had clean breaks in 3 places with a dislocation. I'm still in pain and a long way to recovery. However I hear your distress. I would as already mentioned keep off it and get it examined again. If you need an operation, have it. The healing process can be slow with some people but you may not need an operation. Rest, rest, rest is the way to go and keep that leg elevated. I wish you a speedy recovery and keep calm work comes last. You come first. I hear you.
    • Posted

Oh my God you really have been in the wars.. I feel bad complaining now! Thanks for the reply and                                   hope you have a very speedy recovery!!
  • Posted

Hi Angie ankles are very complex beasts and a bad sprain can be as bad as  a dislocation so don't feel bad or a fraud.  I broke my leg in 4 places and dislocated my ankle in Feb my bones have healed but the ankle still swells and aches even after all this time. I am still in physio as still walk with a limp and struggle on hills and stairs. My colleague sprained her ankle in March and she is still in pain and struggling. It is right to try to keep walking but only with what your comfortable with. I know it feels a strain but you will have to be patient as the recovery journey could take a while. Stay positive they do say we will get there.. One handy hint they gave is before you get out of bed try to move your feet up and down and round and round if you can  before you stand as it removes some of the pain from standing and the horrible morning hobble.
    • Posted

Thank you Cheryl... I recognise that morning hobble and pain. Your injury sounds awful and puts mine into perspective!! Thanks for the support!! and good luck with the injury!
  • Posted

I have a perineal tendon tear at the moment but they dont want to operate.  It is very tender and sore achey.  Treatment is rest, support bandage / taping and strenthgening exercises and probably an injection
    • Posted

Thanks Jon.. they havent  mentioned an injection  or said much about exercise..guess I'll have to wait and see.. Good luck with your injury!!
  • Posted

Hey there, I tore a ligament in my ankle about 3 years ago (and 2 years before that had a very bad sprain as well). Make sure to do stretches and strength exercises to help your ankle once you start feeling less pain. I didn't and I still have pretty bad ankle pain on a daily basis. The swelling never went down and sometimes I can barely walk. I have a special ankle brace that I got from my orthopedist, it's a bit better than the ones in the stores. My ankle clicks and it's fairly weak. I've seen two doctors who said there's nothing we can do at this point, as the damage is done and they don't want to do surgery. Look up ankle exercises online if your doctor didn't give you any, the stretches do help. I hope you feel better, make sure to sit with your ankle up when you can and ice it several times a day!! 

Anyway, here's a slightly related horror story for you: The shoe on my mom's heel broke and she fell down the stairs, landing on her right ankle (bent under) on every step. Her ankle immediately swelled up and turned black and purple, so they went to Patient First (if you don't know, it's an urgent care clinic). They told her it was sprained but not too bad, and they told her to wrap it up and keep walking on it. So she went out that night, dancing and drinking at a bar. The next morning brought horrific pain, like 10/10 on a pain scale, so they went to the actual ER. The X-rays showed her ankle was fractured on the inside, the bone chipped and broke off on the outside, and she tore several ligaments in her ankle. Patient First is horrible for broken bones/sprains/etc. How they missed all of that is beyond me. :P 

• Posted

Hello,

I just happened to stumble upon your story while I was doing a google search. I sprained my ankle almost 3 months ago and what you felt, I am now feeling exactly the same way. I hope that your ankle has healed up nicely by now as I noticed it was 10 months ago that you had posted this. I was just wanting to ask if you don't mind, if it has in fact gotten 100% better and how long it took to heal. Also, did you end up needing to have surgery? My orthopedic doctor has me doing physical therapy. I have seen improvement week to week but still feel pain and stiffness. If it doesn't get completely better I fear I will need surgery. Hope to hear back from you on your results. Thanks.

• Posted

Hey, I sprained my ankle May 5th and broke a 5th metatarsal bone. Got a plate and screws put on the bone. I'm 2 weeks out of the cast and I'm a little worried about my ankle. Swelling is going down but after doing my pt exercises I feel a painfull pop in the outside of my ankle near the heel. I get this when I try to balance on the injured foot. It's still painfull too. I'm a 37 yr old male, 160, 5'10", don't smoke, drink or take caffeine. I'm worried I had a grade 3 sprain and that the tendons haven't healed. Oh well. Thought I'd share my story. I hope that pop goes away and I can get back to normal. Btw, ankle was extremely stiff after the cast was removed. It's getting better but still stiff and hurts. Ankle was immobilized for 8 weeks.

• Posted

Angie. I don't know how old this post is. I'm going to reply anyway. I had the same issue about 15 years ago. I injured my right ankle and my doctor at the time kept saying I had a hairline fracture and kept my foot and ankle in a cast for 3 months. My ex husband at the time started calling doctors and found one that said he thought it was reflex sympathetic dystrophy. I think it's now called crsd. I went to the doctor and he said he would need to do a test and block my nerves that regulate the blood flow to my ankle and foot. My foot was literally dying. It wasn't getting any blood, it hurt so bad to walk on the full foot so I started walking on the tips of my toes and my Achilles tendon shortened. The test was successful and I had surgery. It completely went away. Look up rsd on internet and see if you have the same symptoms of this. I was told without surgery I would lose my foot due to it not getting any blood because of the damaged nerves at the ankle. My foot and ankle were so swollen and painful. I hope you get better smile

• Posted

I'm in the same boat as you. I was told i had a sprained ankle as well. I've been out of work for 4 months going on 5. I got a MRI it then showed torn ligaments and tendons. Now my doctor thinks i have this condition call reflex systematic dystrophy. Im still hopping on my foot and i feel hopeless. Sorry i that's the only answer i can come up with. I too am seeking answers..Good luck on your findings.

• Posted

i had the same problem ...but i think to go for arthroscopy surgery

did you reach a solution for your ankle yet??

• Posted

Hi Angie. I've been going through the same thing. I rolled my ankle on one of those spiky burrs from pine trees while out walking my dog. It's been 7 weeks now, and my foot, ankle, and even my leg right above my ankle are extremely swollen, and super painful! I've had x-rays and no break, but I'm waiting for my MRI tomorrow. It unfortunately took an act of God almost, just to get an appointment within a reasonable amount of time. My doctor has told me to keep it wrapped until the MRI, but i swear that makes it worse! I just want to find out what is wrong with it, and if it's ever going to get better. So I understand what you are going through! Hopefully your ankle gets better soon!

• Posted

Hi beautifulminxx, May I ask you how you come on, I fell off one step 15 weeks ago and still getting pain etc I go for my mri tomorrow bit scared but just thinking I get this out the way then I will get the help, hope your on the mend now ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.