Ankle surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

So its been 6 weeks since my ankle fusion surgery. I was feeling good yesterday I went for a follow up visit and Dr said I was ready to remove my cast and start bearing weight with a boot. Which I have to keep on most of the day. Take it off only to shower and sleep. I was so excited till my dr nurse came in the room and tried on the boot OMG!!!!! It was so painful my foot was so stiff ofcourse from being in a cast for six weeks plus my surgery. I honestly wish I can put the cast back on. They said to start putting weight on my foot little by little but the pain its intense. Even the minimal contact with the floor. I been up all night because every movement hurts badly. Im hoping this gets better soon. I was so excited to start walking and now im just disappointed. Is anyone going thru something similar??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I love the way our healing is so text book, if it hurts so much you are putting too much weight through it, have you crutches, if so try toe touching first for a few days and do exercises to strengthen it, 6 weeks is a long time so foot and leg etc are weak.

Cold foot bathing with ice will help pain and swelling if there is any and use some pain relief

• Posted

I know Alexandria we should write a book.. im going to try i think i am trying toe touch but even that is super sensitive.

• Posted

Hi  Maiflower,  I don't know what kind of a boot you have. I had to wear my boot even to sleep because my doctor was afraid I would try to walk without it to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  I also had PAIN and wanted my cast back!  I had a Jones fracture (without surgery) rather than an ankle fusion.  I found that I was strapping the boot on way too tight.  I got relief by not using the hard plastic shield that covered the front of my leg from my knee all the way to somewhat past my toes.  I also did not tighten the 3 straps that held that plastic shield in place as tightly as I had been.  My leg, ankle, and foot was still very secure.  I also took OTC pain meds like Advil.  Do you have a "walker"?  I used it to transition to weight bearing along with my boot.  The 1st week my arms hurt because I was using them much more than my foot.  2nd week I put more weight on my foot which caused me to limp.  But my arms didn't hurt as much and I was weight bearing (a little).  3rd week I didn't limp as much and didn't use my hands on the walker "for support" but more for "just in case".  I also had physical therapy exercises for ankle strength and mobility that I did more than required because I wanted to be able to get out and drive again!  Was your cast a weight bearing or non weight bearing cast?  Mine was a non wirght bearing cast and I had a knee scooter to get around (no steps).  I was to go from a non weight bearing cast to a weight bearing cast but I didn't want any cast!  That first night in the boot I cried it hurt so much I wanted to go back the next day for the weight bearing cast but thought I'd try the things I did and it helped.  Best of luck to you.  I know this healing process takes much longer than I wanted it to take!  But, as my doctor told me, I'm not 20 any more.  Grrrr    

• Posted

Thank you devsmom.. lastnight was my first night and i havent slept at all. I do have a walker and crutches aswell. The boot that i have does have a plastic cover that goes in the front. I was non weight bearing cast. Even having the boot on is so painful the boot its so heavy.
    • Posted

Any idea why they put you into a boot rather than into a weight bearing cast like they wanted me in?  I think my break was less severe than yours yet they wanted me in another cast for 4 weeks until well.......I pitched a fit and got the boot.  I was so happy that I could shower without a plastic bag over the cast that I didn't mind the HEAVY boot!  Yep, it's heavy, but I could get out of the house because I could go down steps to the car and at least see outside as a passenger.  I did spend quite a bit of time just sitting in a recliner with my foot elevated on a pillow watching TV or snoozing.  It's not good that you didn't sleep.  It sounds like you are in pain even without the heavy boot on while in bed at night and you weren't in pain like that when you were in the cast. Hmmmm. Exactly where is the pain?  I wonder just what your doctor has to say about that.  Have they talked about any PT for you or to use the walker with the boot when walking as first like I did?  I really think the doctors and staff should be explaining the process much better than they do so that patients don't worry with questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.