Ankle swelling and pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had osteoarthritis in my right ankle since I fractured in when I was 14. I am now 64.

It is always worse in th hot weather.

This morning, completely out of the blue it is realy aching though it is not actually that hot.

I don't think I have twisted it whilst asleep. Cannot bear anything on it, not even the weight of a light duvet cover or a sock.

All I can do is to put a cold compress on it and hope it will settle down.

Would be grateful for any other bright ideas

Sarah.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah; I am wondering what medications (if any) do you take for the Arthrites?   If none, then perhaps even some Nurofen from the chemist...if you have already tried same, then maybe talk to your GP, as you may benefit from a stronger anti-imflammatory for a few days??? I would also try some heat packs/arthritic gels....hoping this is what you are looking for?      I will be waiting to see what you think?     Bron
    • Posted

Thank you Bron.

I am already taking Ibuprofen (think they are basically the same as Nurofen).

It is easing quite a bit now but am still using cold compress on it and trying to sit with it elevated as much as possible.

I also have an adjustamatic bed which is helping as I can go and lie on it with my feet elevated for a bit.

I think it's called getting older!!

Sarah x

• Posted

sounds good Sarah....and if it does settle down...then you'll know the treatment for next time it flares up......I do know that most people who have had a fracture, usually have some form of arthrites in that spot....let us know if any thing developes.............Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.