Another attempt at kicking the bottle.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 26 year old alcoholic. I don't drink everyday but I go on exceptionally long binges. My last binge was last week where I was drinking around 24 cans of lager a day and gin on top of that. I've been on and off with booze the last few years and was admitted to hospital in 2013 with the DTs. 

Once again I have deceived to stop drinking. I find it rather easy to stop once I've had a day off, but what I really need is help and advice on how to stay off the booze and the best ways in avoiding temptation. 

Thanks.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The best ways are to do this with medication and good counsellling. Unfortunately, good counselling is almost impossible to find. Most of here are very good.

Your proble, like most people who have an alcohol addiction, is that it has changed your mind. Therefore, even when you managed to give up for a few days, all you do, all day, is think about another drink. Eventually, it gets the better of you.

• Posted

How long have you managed to go without drinking in the past few years? 

Some manage to steer clear with AA, about 10% make it to the 4 year mark that way. There's also SMART Recovery, they're a science/REBT based abstinence program. The have a few face to face meetings, but are mainly online.

There are meds to help you stay sober, or to help you quit / control if you're currently drinking. One way or the other, you're pretty much assured of being able to stay out of trouble with booze if that's your aim. 

Does alcoholism run in your family? 

• Posted

Hi andyh169...I read recently (and I am 52 and know alot about drinking).

That binge drinking is drinking occassionally 1 day every once in a while and over doing it.

Where heavy drinking (if you are drinking more than 1 day) is doing what you are doing (and what I do when I drink).

Ok...so you had some time off drinking...so you KNOW what you have to do.

You have to struggle thru detox (get medication if necessary).

Then do WHATEVER it takes after that not to pick up a drink.

Meetings or counseling, keeping busy...maybe joining a gym, cleaning (your car, room or house)...Eating correctly, resting correctly..always being dilegent about not drinking.

TRUST ME..I KNOW these are not easy things to do...because I have been doing them.  I had 8 years sober at one time...I know what to do also...but ITS HARD when everything else in your life seems against you...I GET IT.

But, we KNOW it can be done and we KNOW WE CAN DO IT.

I'm on a little over 3 weeks now.  The last 2 years...I have been heavy drinking every other month..in the hospital 5 times (2x with DTs).  

lets live.

• Posted

Hi and welcome Andy. I find this website incredibly useful as I am hoping the same for you. I'm new to being sober but during my times of temptation I came here for strength and I now check in several times daily because it keeps my mind in the right place also if I can help anyone thru their journey that's enough reason for me to come back while I continue to grow in my days and my sobriety

Please stay close. Keep us posted and ask or say anything you feel. Admititing it is the first step no matter how long you have known the secret inside yourself. We don't judge here.

Stay positive

• Posted

Good decision, Andy, and I wish you well.

Others on this site have better advice than I have as to how to go about stopping the bingeing. I am the wife of an alcoholic and get wonderful support from the good people here.

Read their posts - and stay with us - we're all rooting for you.

• Posted

There are medical solutions to help you not want a drink, not want to many drinks, and there re severe people in this site that have found them really helpful. Google alcohol use disorder and the Sinclair method for more info and then talk it through with your doctor. Hope all goes well.
    • Posted

There are medical solutions to help you not want a drink, OR not want TOO many drinks, and there ARE SEVERAL people in this site that have found them really helpful. 

is what I meant to type!!

• Posted

hi Andy...sorry for joining late but GOOD CHOICE to stop drinking..think of waking up with no headache and not looking for the bottle...how has today been?? regards Robin
  • Posted

Hello andyw182.

The only thing I want to suggest is rehab. Full immersion with the view to transform your awareness, and thus, a new path in your journey through life.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.