another cystocopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

my firast one really hurt is there any advice please i have another one on the 20th feb to see if the chemo worked on my bladder cancer truble is i have an enlarged prostrate

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Michael,

All I can do is to pass on my own experience, knowing full well that what works for me might not necessarily work for you. My last cystoscopy was about six months ago so the experience is still quite fresh in my mind.

They tell you to relax, but never what or how to relax! The trick is to bear down gently as though to pee. The first place you will need to do this is when you feel the cystoscope begin to enter your prostate -- here you should feel a noticeable change in sensation -- and again, a little further on, when the cystoscope passes into your bladder there will be a different sensation, more like wanting to pee.

Instinctively you want to pull back but you must do what you can to reverse the urge and push outwards instead. Always gently; no need to strain.

What I have said here assumes that you do not have any urethral or prrostate damage that might cause pain, and that you have a competent oprator performing the cystoscopy.

Good luck with your cystoscopy and I hope it is as painless as possible. I also hope you find the cancer is in remission. Drop me a line when it is all done. 

Best wishes. Alan.

• Posted

alan cheers m8 i had one done before they found the cancer and that hurtttttttttttt im hoping after 6 catheters later having chemo it wont hurt so much haha

• Posted

HI MICHAEL

WHY NOT HAVE IT DONE UNDER GENERAL ANESTHETIC

THAT WAY THE MEDICAL STAFF CAN DO THE JOB THEY

HAVE TO AND YOU WAKE UP AND BEING POSITIVE ALL

WILL BE OK

ALL THE BEST TO YOU

• Posted

paul i cant my consultant says not anesthic mind you its a choice a minute of pain or wait all day with the anesthtic

• Posted

why cant they just jab me like in the movies and you wake up an hour later
  • Posted

I had my first one last month. From my limited experiance I'd say 1 of 2 things. If you think the doctor rushed before the lidocaine kicked in, then tell the doctor ahead of time. The last time the procedure really hurt is there anything we can do to help like maybe waiting a little longer before inserting tube? My other suggestion (since my last one didn't hurt at all absolutely nothing) is find a different doctor.

• Posted

ill tell them next time to wait a little while so the gel can work buts because i have enlarged prostrate that it hurts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.