Another Gout Question :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

New here and tried to read through as much as I could first so sorry if I missed this asked before.  First I must say, OWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!  Yes, going through an attack right now so I had to let out a little scream.

My question is:  This is only my 5th attack, but the previous 4 have always been the same in one foot or the other.  What happened this time is two nights ago I saw the red tenderness forming next to my big toe on my left foot.  I knew exactly what it was and what was going to happen.  At least I thought.

Yesterday I still saw the red flare up on the left, no real pain, but my right foot started to feel a little stiff.  Sure enough, woke up in the middle of the night screaming with the pain, however it was in my right foot and now the toe on my right foot (and other parts of the foot) have that oh so wonderful red, puffy glow.

Is that normal?  To have it start on one foot but never really develop, yet get full blown on the other foot that initially showed no signs?  Strange to me, but again, just my 5th attack.

Thanks and just curious

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes. It's normal. When it happened to me I thought I was going mad or my memory was bad. I even wrote it in my diary to prove to myself it was changing foot. You probably should consider treatment before you get to having tophi (I waited and got tophi).

• Posted

Similarly on my 5th attack and first on right foot despite what my GP has told me. Also this attack is as my first on the left foot years ago with a great deal of swelling but not excruciating pain just extreme pain despite me having been told that each subsequent attack is always at least as bad as the last if not worse. Just been diagnosed Coeliac as well and starting to deal with that, hey ho sometimes I wonder about this thing called life, but that's part of being Coeliac too??!!*%@

• Posted

What do you mean by "despite what my GP told me?"

Have you had a blood urate test •when you have no symptoms of gout•."

As for Coeliac - you have the perfect diseases to match together. Both Coeliac and gout benefit you giving up bread beer etc.

• Posted

My GP told me that Gout always starts at the same place time and again. Never had a blood urate test this is the UK here. Nothing about Coeliac is perfect believe me.
    • Posted

Firstly - where did your GP get his medical degree? The first GP I saw said the same thing - he got his degree in a country which begins in P and ends in N. I saw his boss who got her degree in Nottingham and she learnt the opposite. Interestingly the first GP refused the urate test, despite the fact that I already had a blood test to prove I had high blood urate. My advice: change GP.

I'm not suggesting Coeliac is good news - just at least it means you have to cut out stuff which will help your gout.

• Posted

I get a different GP everytime I go, mostly English though, don't even know who my actual GP is. Alcohol seems to be my main trigger and wine and spirits work as well or better for getting gout. Alcohol strength seems to be a factor with me. The higher the worse so beer WAS the safest option for many years. Coeliac creates depression hence the alcohol hence the gout. Que sera sera.

• Posted

i have had gout since 2000, belive me you can get gout in any joint in the body at any time,in more than one place, am talking 17years experince, and  like a drink to witch is the worse thing for gout, i will always have it now,lost jobs over it cause cant walk next day,and bossess dont belive you how you can be fine one day,and ill the next,and am a builder hard work,ladders ,lifting e,c,t good luck
    • Posted

ive took ever drug in the book trust me, there is nothing i dont no bout gout, i no bout foods ,drinks,drugs,draining gout,resting it, pics i seen of gout on internet and more, am on febuxostat,and colchicine now, ive been on all other drugs
    • Posted

it stop working for me so g,p change it, at to go out yesterday
    • Posted

the attacks coming more often and worse,so now on other tabs
    • Posted

How many mg of allopurinol were you taking?

Which tabs do you take now?

• Posted

Andy

If 300 mg stopped working is that not an indication of the kidney needing more help? Did you not try increasing the dose of allopurinol? At 300 mg you are still only 1/3 of the maximum therapeutic dose.

Which new drug did you take instead of allopurinol and dose it work?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.