Another try with naltrexone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I've not received any posts on alcohol forum for 24 hours? Has everyone got better or have I clicked a button accidently!!!???

Anyway it's a few weeks since my last drink with naltrexone( used to be a 24/7 drinker a few years ago and now a binge drinker(3 times this year). Some of you know me! So thought I'd give it another go( think its 5th time re taking naltrexone correctly thanks to Paul. Will keep you posted of my experience ....hope everyone is ok smile

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It does make you feel a bit peculiar after about half hour in of taking it(without alcohol) kind of a bit dizzy ) but can live with that. Now second glass of wine, first glass 2 hours after tablet) feeling fine. A little lethargic but always feel like that any way!
  • Posted

Thank you for remiding me to take my pill. No I don't like what it does to me. duh.

I did get a refill yesterday so the thought pattern is still on the plus side. biggrin

Keep strong my friend.

• Posted

Hi. Not heard from you in a long time. Have you not had any posts for 24hours or is it just me? I'm enjoying my 3rd glass of wine..got to stop soon tho as my partner is a guy I met in AA ( 20 years sober) he's home soon and wil go mad if I'm drunk!
    • Posted

Been together 3 years but he won't let me drink
    • Posted

Maybe he doesn't smell it 'cause wine has a different smell to it similar to soft drinks. 

If he won't let her drink (as she says), then it is a horrible thing to hide. Ouch.

• Posted

Fairy, hang in there. Don't look down - look upwards.
    • Posted

Thank you. Re last night..he did ask if I'd been drinking and I said no. Sometimes I've had meds that make me a little weird so I think he thought it was that. And yes when I'm not drinking I'm addicted to strawberry ribena with fizzy flavoured water!!! He often says it smells like wine!
  • Posted

Yes paper fairy I am still here. Have you started drinking again since you wrote this post. I've replied on your later post where you say you've been drinking wine? What is the difference between nalfemene and naltrexone,

seem to recall naltrexone is a newer drug, is that right?

• Posted

Hi to the both of you - Paper fairy and Vicky. This might seem a bit odd but the difference is the effect on the liver as Paul has mentioned several times on here. I still take my naltrexone (when I remember, duh again).

Nalmefene is the newest med and I keep trying to convince my shrink to find out when it will be available here in Canada but he is so busy with others to be bothered. Such a life with the medical community, they just don't keep up with the latest news although I keep bugging him to read up on it.

Personally, I prefer beer not wine and once a have one, the rest of the day is a waste land if you know what I mean. Boredom sets in and then the beer flows. The rest is history, so to speak. Day after day after day.

I wish it were easy. Gotta take my pill, ttyl.

• Posted

Hi Tim.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I spoke to the manufacturers of Selincro (Lundbeck) a few months ago, and they tell me that there are no current plans to introduce the medication to America or Canada.  There are clinical trials registered in America, but they tell me they are a duplicate of the clinical trials currently underway in Japan. (Maybe they think they might be able to use these in America at some point).

From a pure profit perspective, Lundbeck have targeted those countries with the highest potential - Europe (collectively) and Japan - who also offer the least resistance to change.  Unfortunately, they initially tested out the chances of a launch in America, but received such a resistance on several issues from the American FDA that it became unviable to try launch there, including arguments over how long they would have exclusive rights to making the tablets.  Perhaps the recent announcement by the FDA that they are reviewing their abstinence-only policy may change things in due course, but not in the near future.

However, Selincro does exactly the same as naltrexone.  Many are struggling to get a RX for naltrexone in Canada so well done for that!

Take the pill every single time.  Drink the first couple of drinks slowly. Allow your brain to recognise that you aren't getting that hit from the endorphins.  Notice how it feels to drink without that hit reaching it's spot.  Pretty pointless to continue, isn't it?

And you MUST take it every time, I can't stress that enough.  You are trying to teach your brain that drinking no longer provides what it once did.  Over time it WILL learn this and seek out other endorphin hits such as the endorphins released from exercise etc.

But if you don't take it every time you are taking one step forwards and two back.  How do you expect your brain to learn that drinking no longer offers the rewards it once did, when sometimes (or even occasionally) you are allowing it to receive those rewards again?  It will always live in hope that drinking MIGHT be beneficial again so your cravings will never completely leave you.

A good and simple way to think of this is like an electical circuit.  With a simple switch, battery, wire and light bulb, the bulb will light if the switch is on and the circuit is complete.

Naltrexone (and Selincro) cut that wire!  So no matter how many times you flick the switch (ie. drink) the circuit never completes, the light bulb never switches on. 

By never receiving that alcohol endorphin hit in your brain, you can appreciate the taste etc of alcohol and you will get drunk if you drink too much, but you will never experience that massive light up/fireworks show that happens in your brain that makes you compulsively continue drinking.

• Posted

I totally understand what you and Paul have been saying.

I think my problem has more to do with HABIT. And waking up in the morning without a drink gets me frustrated.

If I'm out of beer, I order some to be delivered...bad habits are hard to break.

AND bordom sets in.

Thank you both for caring. I wish it was easy.

• Posted

Oh, I wish it was too! :-)

Habits are hard to break but any progress on breaking down the habit in the right direction is to be applauded.  It takes big effort to do that for sure.

• Posted

Greetings

i have been looking for a medication online that can help me the downward spiral I went on.  I have been still thinking about and missing wine dinners ang get togethers.

I have been sober for a little over  two years.  I am thinking of keeping the tablets around for "just in case".

Question: as a newbe I found nalmefrene to be helpful online based on reviews/testimonies. What would any of you suggest as a better med if needed?  Also I have no idea how the tablets should be taken. One tablet before you drink?  What if I do not choose to drink that day do I still take medication,

if if this is not clear please say so.  I am very sleepy while writing.

thankyou,

Courtney

• Posted

Courtney...no matter WHAT..do not give in to your alcohol cravings.

I had 8 YEARS sober and gave in....SET me on a RELAPSE....for 2 years.

Alcoholism is progressive...if you give in..you will be worse than you were before...I almost died this time.

You have 2 years! Hold on to that with everything you have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.