Antabase (disulfiram)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I have just completed a home detox after a two week spree where I ended up sleeping rough. I'm home safe and determined to remain sober, however I don't trust myself enough to not take that first drink. I have researched antabase and it sounds like a tool I could use to help stop taking that first drink as the reaction would really stop me.

Is this something my gp who is great able to prescribe for me?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

No way!!! It is dangerous and outdated. It can KILL if you drink with it. I can't believe it hasn't been banned. As an alcohol treatment practitioner, I would never use it on any client of mine. As well as being dangerous it doesn't work for a large majority of people because they find they stop taking the pills and then drink.

Read about The Sinclair Method instead. That makes far more sense and has a success rate of 78% according to the research and I have seen even higher success rates with my clients.

• Posted

Hi Paul. I live in the Middke East and can buy Baclofan over the counter. I started taking it a few months ago and was in the process of building up the dosage but had to suddenly leave to the UK and stopped. I'm now back here and would like to start again. I don't have the Sinclair recommendations I front of me but I remember the starting dosage was quite low. As I had no reaction at all at the low dosage could I start slightly higher this time around? What dosage would you 'normally' recommend your patients to start at?
    • Posted

We don't use Baclofen for The Sinclair Method. That is used in a different way to eliminate craving and doesn't result in 'pharmacological extinction.'

Nalmefene (18mg daily, if drinking) or Naltrexone (50 mg daily, if drinking, although people are often started on 25mg to accustomise their body to it, initially).

Those are the recommended doses but I can't speak about your own particular dose as I know nothing of your medical history or current health status.

• Posted

Sorry Paul, I got my methods mixed up! Have you any experience with Baclofen? It's all that is available to me here. The Middle East isn't the 'go to' place for alcohol addictions wink
    • Posted

I was Director of Quality Assurance in a drug and alcohol hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia smile I know smile

No, I haven't used Baclofen with my own clients but have read about how it works. With the option of the Sinclair Method, there is no real reason to offer a different method.

There must be a way for you to get precribed Nalmefene or Naltrexone. Joanna from CThree Europe may know more about availablity in the Middle East. Hopefully she will see this.

• Posted

Sorry, I've not had any experience with anyone getting a prescription in the Middle East.  If it IS possible, then it would be naltrexone only.

The only person I know had to travel out of the Middle East to Europe, and get a prescription and the medication.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful :-(

• Posted

I agree with Paul. In my experience Naltrexone helped me and Baclofen was even better. Since you have already stopped drinking I would go with Naltrexone.

Best wishes

• Posted

What are the side effects like for these drugs?

I took nalmefene and the first time was really ill but then symptoms wore off but I ran out of tablets as the pharmacy kept delaying getting them in. I then tried again and while the symptoms were not as extreme I felt constantly sick all the time.

Now I am back to my pretty bad ways. Drinking in the mornings if not at work. Even got drunk before family came round and I don't know why. I just had a sip and then couldn't stop till all the alcohol was gone. My family were disgusted. 😩

• Posted

Yes, your gp can prescribe it.

Just KNOW that once you put that medication in your body...the first pill...you CAN NOT drink alcohol or ingest anything with alcohol it in it.

And it builds up in your system. I had a bad reaction with this medication...my feet became totally numb.  And I couldn't walk..It took Drs a long time to figure out it was a reaction to antabuse.  You will have to have frequent liver tests because antabuse can affect your liver.

I stopped taking it once diagnosed with a reaction to it...and I waited 2 weeks......(as suggested to put any alcohol in my body)....and I had a severe reaction because the antabuse was STILL in my system. I ended up in hospital...hallucinations...high blood pressure, strapped to the bed because I was violent and delisional.

This medication should not be taken unless you are completely READY to not drink at all.  What it does is it repels the alcohol from going thru the liver as it usually does and you don't get drunk...you just get VERY sick.

Just be careful...this is a serious medication with serious complications if you attempt to drink while using it....and even if you attempt to drink after you stop taking it (for a significant period of time after stopping, you can still have negative consequences).

Naltraxone is another drug....that alcoholics use...to curb cravings...I have considered it in the past...I never did try it...but if you drank on that...it wouldn't give the violent reaction you would get that you will get if you drink on Antabuse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.