Anterior and posterior repair and painful trapped wind!!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies

I had my surgery on Friday afternoon (anterior and posterior repair plus vaginal hysterectomy, 38 years old).

i felt dreadful yesterday which was from the morphene, no pain at all but sick, dizzy and couldn't keep my eyes open. I have told the nurses not to give me anymore and I am happy (for now) to manage with paracetamol and ibuprofen, which is working fine. I have no pain as such just a little un comfortable when I sit up but I have got terrible stomach ache which is from trapped wind!!!

has anyone else suffered with this and can suggest anything to help? If it wasn't for this I would feel great.

thank you xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Tapped wind is extremely common following this surgery, in fact a similar question was asked a couple of days ago in which I responded. The surgeon usually puts some air into the area so he can see exactly where he needs to repair. This parts the organs in the pelvic floor area. Buscopan and windeze will help.
  • Posted

Lay on your side if possible hun. That's all the advice I have. Sorry x
  • Posted

Hi jill2310

I had surgery also this week and had a lot of wind the following day. I found it was hugely relieved after my first BM. Don't get constipated

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi when did you have your 1st BM if you don't  mind me asking? I feel I could go but darn't push!!! X
    • Posted

I felt exactly like that..... My consultant wrote me up for lactulose(stool softener ) from the day after surgery (Wed) and I went on Thursday evening when I was home and feeling much more relaxed !
    • Posted

Lactulose works much better if taken with something like Senokot or Dulcolax so that the bowel is stimulated. Following surgery the bowel can tend to go to 'sleep'. If you don't like the sugary taste of Lactulose there are other stool softeners, some in the form of a soft capsule which are much more palatable.
    • Posted

I was around four days post surgery. I had been drinking lots of water and drank two cups of prune juice. My GP gave me Movicol sachets as lactose just gave me 'botty burps' 😊. I also found it helpful to hold a wadge of toilet paper over my vagina while going as it felt supported.
    • Posted

I had that problem with Lactulose and since my operation over 5 years ago a few friends have had prolapse surgery and they all had the same problem. I agree prune juice is an excellent option.
    • Posted

I had that problem too ! But it definitely helped me 'go' initially. I have now stopped it as it was almost working too well !! Now at home and I can have a much more varied diet with lots of fruit and veg etc .I also made sure I drink loads of water  biggrin
  • Posted

Windeeze or peppermint water (from the good old days of my nursing training and midwifery training years ago 😊). Horrible feeling but will ease when mobilize a bit more.
  • Posted

Thank you ladies, I have sent my husband to the chemist!!! 
    • Posted

The advice about lying on your side is good but make it your left side.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.