Anterior and Posterior repair surgery!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had my prolapse surgery 4 days ago and have really uncomfortable bowel pain.  I can't sit down I have to sit to the side and I'm not constipated as taking laxatives to make sure I don't as this was my surgeons biggest worry for me.

Im hoping somebody can tell me this is quite normal and will pass? I'm aged 40 and had a total abdominal hysterectomy last year and feel I dealt with that better than I am this surgery.

I have been reading through lots of the threads and am very greatful to find so much info.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello emma. This brings back memories of when I was less than a week post op. Prolapse repair is a totally different ball game to a hysterectomy and I know because I've had both operations and nursed patients for years afterwards as well. Prolapse repair is classed as major surgery whereas a hysterectomy isn't anymore. The pain is more intense and it is difficult to sit and get comfortable because of the incision and the tight sutures which are essential. You need to keep on top of your pain relief and don't let the pain reach a peak before you take anything. Pain hinders recovery. You need to do absolutely nothing for the first two weeks and no lifting anything heavier than a kettle with enough water to make a cup of tea. On the Genitourinary home page is a section Useful Resources. There you will find some useful information particularly the South Tees information. Take care and please take things really easy because if you do everything by the book you'll have a successful repair.

• Posted

Thanks, I am just lying down watching tv reading etc. I won't be lifting etc as I have told my family I can't bare the thought of more surgery as I've had far too many.

feels better just hearing from others who have been through the same.

• Posted

Make sure you have a little walk around the room or to the bathroom about every hour. This is just to prevent DVT.
    • Posted

Yes I am will be glad to finish the clexlane injections tomorrow as they give me a headache
    • Posted

They can cause headaches unfortunately, something you could do without x
  • Posted

It's totally normal, don't worry!

Four days is still at the " getting over surgery and anaesthetic" bit.

It's a totally different op to get over, a hysterectomy is far easier, like you, I had that a few years before prolapse one.

You've had major surgery, it's going to take weeks to get over it, and months to get back to normal.

Lie down,don't try to sit, you've been cut and stitched up and are so swollen at the moment.

It will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

For now lie down, feet up, don't do anything much, no lifting, no bending, let someone else do it. The first two weeks are crucial in your recovery. 

Let the time  pass,read, watch TV , just relax, sitting will be very sore for a while.

It's really good you aren't constipated, keep your fluids up, and eat healthily. Give it another couple of weeks, and you should see an improvement, it's hard going, but you honestly will.x.

• Posted

thanks Laura, yeah the fluids are my best friend I'm too scared to get constipated.

• Posted

Hi Emma,

You are right this site is so great, invaluable advice.

I had an A&P repair around 9 months ago and like you couldn't really sit proper, was resting horizontal for most of early weeks and like you found it difficult and tended to sit or lean to one side.

Best to rest with feet up for first 2 weeks and then take it easy for first 12 weeks. Start with short 5 min walks and slowly build up to 2 x 20 min walks by 6 weeks. Same with weight bearing. No more than a mug of tea to start with. No hoovering or anything that causes down pressure on pelvic floor, start with light housework like light dusting, only a little to start and see how you feel your body will tell you when you overdo things.

Happy healing,

Phyl x?

• Posted

Thanks Phyl I look forward to getting about more but I know I have to do the resting first. 

Lovely to hear from you all

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Thank you for asking, Work getting really busy as we get nearer to Xmas.

Chaotic on Sunday morning, short staffed due to works night out evening before, cash office running behind nothing organised for opening. Rushing around first 2 hours between self's can and hybrids. Section leader did however ask section manager for staff to cover selfscan/hybrids and they did that and I did get my seat at checkout.

Scar tissue much better now I'm back on estriol. Starting to feel I'm just a ' Moaning Minnie ', as I am back on checkouts so much and getting really busy I'm now getting very painful shoulder, neck and around top of arm. Just the repeatative nature of continual scanning items across scanner . So will take a little while to get use to it again.

On the positive side so much easier to sit for longer periods . Had a day out recently in city with family, was out for 6 hours, did stop for coffee, then for lunch later so did limit the walking without any after effects. Think the difference is that you walk at a muchore sedate or leisurely pace and that makes a difference. Back swimming too over last couple of weeks and again no after effects so definitely making progress, just have to not stride about too quickly.

• Posted

Sorry laura didn't mean to send there, hope all is going well for you too.

Take care, Phyl x?

• Posted

Hello phyl. It's good to hear from you. It must be your busiest time of year coming up so look after yourself and take care 😘

• Posted

Much better thanks Phyl.x.

It does get better, but slowly!

• Posted

Hi Matron,

Very busy, being extra careful, getting quite good at spotting the heavy cases of beer/juice before customers put them on the conveyor belt and the regulars are getting use to being asked to leave them in trolley so I can just hand scan them, they are anticipating this now.

Daughter getting a tredmill for Xmas so will have to be strong and avoid temptation for a little while. It has a couple of height/gradient settings so maybe by spring will be able to do uphill walking on it.

Hope you are keeping well yourself,

Phyl x☺

• Posted

Hi phyl. I had some not so good news following a recent back X-ray which has taken me, my GP and rheumatologist by surprise but it's I'm ok otherwise xx

• Posted

Oh, hope it's nothing too bad, as a back patient myself, it can be hard to deal with, best wishes Matron.x.

• Posted

That doesn't sound so good Matron, hope it's nothung too serious.

X Phyl

• Posted

I have osteoarthritis in lots of joints, I think you know phyl but despite years of lifting as a nurse I've never suffered with backache until about 3 months ago, and it was painful so my GP sent me for an X-ray. It shows OA (but they say everyone over 50 has some OA) but it also showed a thinning of the 4th & 5th lumbar vertebrae and narrowing of the spaces between the vertebrae. So the pain is consistent with the X-ray findings. Nothing they can do apart from physio and pain relief. But these things happen and it's probably caused with lifting over the years. I don't know any nurse in my age group without some joint problems. 😘😘

• Posted

Oh thank you. I'm ok though and it's just one of those things. I'm no longer on the wards so I can do justvas much or as little as I want. Hope you are well xx

• Posted

That must be so very painful Matron, hope the physio helps some. Personally I hate taking painkillers but I think as we get older it can't always be avoided.

I have damaged cartilage and ligaments in my right knee, a result of sports injury swimming and also knee injury - car door.

It flares up now and again so usually use anti-imlamitary ibuprofen gel and paracetamol and that seems to do the trick. That's painful enough I can't imagine how you manage to cope with longterm pain in various joints especially in the spine.

I'm not good with pain can be a bit of a baby. Strange thing is I managed with child birth without hardly any pain, and no gas or painkillers. Yet when I get a wee bruise, cut or scratch I make such a fuss 😅

I assume the cartilage has been worn down between the lumbar vertebrae. Hope you find a good painkiller.

X phyl 💖

• Posted

I'm not very good with pain either phyl. I'm popping pills regularly at the moment. I can't take anti inflammatories and the gel gives me abdominal pain as well so unfortunately it's codeine and my GP prescribed Tramadol yesterday for when the pain is worse. Poor Emma I've high jacked her post x

• Posted

Thank you phyl I'm sure things will improve. I'm a very positive person and think I've been very lucky in the past. Just need to persuade dearly beloved that some warm sunshine will be a good medicine 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.