Anterior? Posterior? Lateral?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have found on the internet a picture of these three different cuts for hip replacement. I am going to attach it here because I had no idea of what these different incisions really were and it might help other people.

I had a posterior cut and it has healed fast, no swelling, no problem with the muscles on my behind...

Happy long weekend to all of you! (Long if you live in the UK)

Ella 

5 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had the posterior too. I went in on Wednesday and came home yesterday with a clean op site, all neat and tidy!I can't praise the nursing staff enough, they were amazing, so caring and professional. I'm one happy hippy!
    • Posted

Hi Patricia,

I am glad you are back home ! I had a very positive experience as well, the staff was fantastic...

Best wishes 

Ella 

• Posted

Hi Ella nice pic to show where the diffferent wounds can be, so glad I had the Posterior one it looks bad but will fade fast so they say, just road works on my ass so to speak...cheesygrin Getting better quickly now, I will do a post later today just need to find the theme I have some Airshow shots from Blackpool three years ago when I was on North Pier, I got really close, and have redone them to share here.

Thanks for that post very interesting.

Ian.

• Posted

Hi Ian,

You are a scream..."road work on your "back", a nice way to describe it...You have two so it's really fitting!

I am going to see your pictures now...

All the best, 

Ella 

• Posted

I had (I think) posterior. I say "think" as my scar is on my bottom but is only 3 inches long. So neat and tidy I have forgotten (a t 16 weeks) it was ever there.
    • Posted

Hi Gillian,

You probably had the method used in USA and in just one hospital in the UK...Good for you!

My scar is a lot longer, but it's fading nicely and it' doesn't bother me.

Best wishes

Ella 

• Posted

Hi Ella I had it done in th UK, in Basingstoke hospital in Hampshire. I've just always been curious why mine is so small. Can't imagine how they do all that they do through such a tincy incision!

Regards

Gill

• Posted

Also meant to say thank you for the picture as I really wanted  to know ehere each of the cuts actually are.
  • Posted

Thanks Ella I have concluded mine posterior.

Happy holiday

Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise,

I think it's nice to be able to know exactly what they thave done to our body!

Happy long holiday to you too...

Ella 

• Posted

I had posterior both times, but strangely although same surgeon, same hospital and only 5 months apart scars are not the same - one is more vertical than the other. Both healing nicely though so not complaining. Second hip was def twisted out before op so maybe cut had to be slightly different? Who knows. Just grateful to be getting my life back.
    • Posted

Hi Shirley,

I wonder if it's like baking a cake, they all come out differently, even with same ingredients and same cook! biggrin

But if we are healing nicely...who cares?

Ella 

• Posted

Mind posterior too. Sewing up a bit lumpy but nurses all thought it was neat. You've cleared up another question for me. I had read a lot of people say that bum clenches were painful. As mine are not I thought I wasn't doing them right but it sound like we do not all get sore butt. Still get the phone in pocket feeling tho.
    • Posted

Hi Attractac,

I never had any pain on my bottom...I could do the clenches from day one...I have read somewhere that the phone in the pocket feeling will go in time.

Best wishes

Ella 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.