Anti-thyroid drugs & Itching!!! Please, help!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone else had this side effect? Is it an allergic reaction or just a side effect? Am I grasping at straws here? Feel like there is no hope. Please read.

I was told by endo #1 to stop methimazole for 2 weeks after I went slightly hypo. BIG MISTAKE. My numbers as of 02/15 were even worse than before I started treatment in December .

FT4: 3.8

FT3:19

I found a new endo#2 and he put me back on methimazole 10mg. Now 5 days later I'm itchy all over and have one only one hive on my arm. This happened before when I was on 20mg of methimazole in December. But was resolved when I cut down to 10mg. Lowering my dose helped.

This time I'm on 10mg and the itchiness/rash is back!!!

I called endo #2 and he prescribed PTU.I am terrified!! I cried today because I read really scary things about PTU and I don't want to go near it. Anyway, I refuse to take it and am sticking with the methimazole despite the "reaction. "

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was on 10 mg of Methimazole and I would get an itchy welt across my forehead.  Drove me crazy.  However, I have gotten rid of a lot of itch problems before, i.e. in my ears and my face by rubbing Betamethasone scalp lotion across the itchy area.  It worked.  It was like telling my immune system "Go to sleep, false alarm". However, you do need a prescription for the Betamethasone scalp lotion.

• Posted

Not me but I've once read about another person from another forum who complained about extreme itching while on methamazole. Her issue resolved about a month later and once the dose was lowered when her levels got better.

• Posted

This is a relatively common side effect. It might help you to split the dose. Just make sure you take your full 10mg dose every 24 hours.

For a few days I had to take cetirizine dihydrochloride (an oral antihistamine) to calm down the skin reaction.  Whatever you do, don't scratch. It makes the urticaria much worse.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.