Antibiotics

Posted , 10 users are following.

Iam lucky to have a UK GP. that allows me to keep antibiotics in the cupboard,to take when I get a infected flare up. I always wait 7-10 daus to see if the infection clears it self, occasionally it will.

What worries me,infections used to be about every 4 months,then 3 months now down to 6 weekly. How harmful is it to be taken antibiotics so often.GP is good but feels just live with it. As Iam 70 now some times think the NHS can't really be bothered with old men moaning they are not getting any better ,just worse,Thoughts on antibiotics please.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well, as far as I am aware the accepted wisdom is that antibiotics can be overused and become ineffective.

I had a small battle with my surgery as they initially refused to give me them for an ear infection until I pointed out I was due to take four flights in the next two weeks and infected ears and flying do not mix.

• Posted

What do you experience in a flare up? I have a nearly constant nagging ache in my lower left abdomen, but have'nt had one yet (touch wood), so I want to know what to look out for. I have read it is experiencing a high temperature, sickness,diarrhoea, but am not sure. I am a woman of 62 and notice it seems to affect older people a lot more. It seems a bit ironic that the main course of action is anti-biotics, when I suspect that it was being prescribed them to treat my acne when I was a teenager that caused a lifetime of gut disorders and eventually the diverticulitis that I have now. Talk about hair of the dog! Anyway, the best advice I can give is that you need to repopulate you gut with some of the good bacteria after each session of anti-biotics, for if you don't the bad ones seem to get stronger. It's very sad that in such a modern day and age, that the medical profession can still say 'there is no cure, you just have to live with it'. Keep in touch and good luck:-)
    • Posted

yes you are right,i took them for three weeks when i had a bad flair up,i was bleeding for 5days,had been to gp and he said nothing could be .i went to see another gp after bleeding and living in the bathroom,i had antibiotics and another course of pills for 3 weeks,it helped but two weeks later it is back,another gp put me on steroids,5per day weaned downwards,i feel like a new person,i feel like a junkie on speed,(dont know any junkies)off to see consultant in two weeks will let you know the outcome.good luck to anyone with this problem,i am a female of 66 and your right some dont give a damm when you get older.
  • Posted

tess053-- pain in left side top bend, severe wind and spasam right across top of gut.Feeling bloated and just unwell. If this goes on for more than 7 days I know from experiance only antibiotics will stop it.Don't lile taking them but what do you do..
  • Posted

You have my sympathy. I live in Australia and find exactly the same problem. Too many antibiotics over the years with sinus infections have led to them not doing much for my divertic. I have just started the FODMAP diet to try to avoid certain foods that set off the symptoms. Like you I last only about 6 weeks between flare ups. Also am convinced that some attacks have been more like IBS and have rushed to the doctor, taken antibiotics and perhaps shouldn't have. I have started a daily probiotic too. It really gets you down as nobody is able to help. I am 62 and still working. My boss is fed up with it which adds to my stress. Remember you are not alone.
  • Posted

Not sure as I am only new (8 months) to DV. I contacted my practice today saying that the pain in my lower left abdomen was now a bit itchy and did this represent a flare up? It was a she doctor this time and she just rang me to say a flare up is a rather vague term. But to contact her immediately if I get these signs of infection: ie nausea, rectal bleeding, severe pain, loss of appetite, then she would put me on antibiotics again and only then.She said I just had to put up with the present moderate pain and work out my own path through fibre foods, as some suit and others dont on an individual basis.She said to slow down of fibres if the pain increases, then if OK go back to fibres. Its all a bit hotch potch! Well thats the info I have on flare ups.
  • Posted

Antibiotics will get rid of the infection but it kills all of the good bacteria in your gut.  You have to restore the good bacteria or you will continue to have frequent flare ups. You can restore good bacteria with probiotics and greek yogurt. Taking too many antibiotics will cause other problems in your body.

• Posted

What probiotic have you found to work?
  • Posted

I have used Phillips, Align, and GNC brand

• Posted

Used probiotics from holland and barret in chewable tablet form 2 a day for first week after antibiotics,then one a day for three day and now one every other day. Seems ok. Any thoughts. Should I continue for ever (at least till next flare up) or stop at some point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.