Antibiotics

Posted , 13 users are following.

Morning all

At the risk of sounding like a gossip columnist, I hear that 'we' will need to antibiotics a lot for the rest of our lives. Even for visits to the hygienist as 'we' are more susceptible to infection with our additional parts. 

​Is this a US thing or is that the thinking in the UK (and elsewhere)? I know my GP hates giving antibiotics due to the fear of resistence.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello

I have just been to the dentist and asked him about this and he said it is not necessary . Used to be but not now and I am in England !

My consultant also told me that antibiotics were not needed .

Any help ?

• Posted

Very much - thank you. 

The chat talked about the 'foreign matter' (ie: implant) being a magnet for infection and therefore makes us more vulnerable. Especially, as it is in the bone. But I guess that theory would apply to serious dental work and screws for broken bones etc. 

• Posted

I'm seeing my GP tomorrow I'll ask?? Never was told that re my knee. So now with hip as well ...... Who knows??!!!
    • Posted

Thanks Gaby - I look forward to hearing what he/she says
  • Posted

Hi Michael,

Surely once our wound has healed, we are no more liable to infections than anybody else?!

Yes, we're discouraged from taking antibiotics in the UK because the bugs are becoming immune to them.

So, no, I wouldn't take them as a preventative.

Anna x

• Posted

Hi Michael I had read about the antibiotics thing and asked the question of my dentist last week I was seeing the hygienist and it was unnecessary to have any he said if there major work ie implants then antibiotics would be given anyway.
  • Posted

My GP prescribes them very reluctantly too.  I do understand that viral infections do not respond to antibiotics but many people seem to think they are a cure-all.  I do worry that we will soon be left with no effective antibiotics, something that does worry me.  I'm an asthmatic and colds and flu invariably end up becoming chest infections for me.  I have wondered how this will affect me when I have a new hip and if my GP will be quicker to prescribe to avoid infections spreading to my hip.  I know very little about the risk of infection in the body affecting post op hip patients.
    • Posted

I really would not worry about this as a factor. It just does not make sense - and as Judge Judy says: If it does not make sense, it is probably not true. But then, lke me, she is not medically trained.

This chat started in the US, and with all due respect, they do tend to dance to another tune when it comes to healthcare. I genuinely believe that it is a money-making and scare-mongering thing.  

My nephew has had screws in his ankle for nearly 10 years and he has not heard of such a thing.

Michael 

• Posted

It is an interesting point you make. There was a thread about having a medical bracelet so that the emegency medics would be aware. But I seem to think that was more to do with moving you than infection. I stand ready to be corrected though.
    • Posted

Susan the hip card is of no use when travelling abroad, with technology as it is, it can be copied by anyone for sinister reasons,?.

I have just done my 5 th flight  in 3 weeks, and I happily go through the scanner or get the pat down. I don't care what they do so long as we are all safe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.