Antibiotics and blood thinners

Posted , 2 users are following.

As so many drugs can interfere with INR levels what experience have people here taking Warfarin had with dental antibiotics? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My mum takes warfarin, most if not all antibiotics can alter inr levels as can being unwell with an infection taking pain relief even paracetamol and alterations in eating due to the pain of a dental problem.

I realise this reply is months later after you posted the question sorry only just saw this...but anyone taking antibiotics or any new medication that starts or stops, needs regular blood tests to monitor their inr levels.

Hope you are much better

Take care

• Posted

Hi derek,

That has happened to my mum so many times, recently she had to take new medication but also had a viral infection and her inr went up to 4.8 so the warfarin nurse rang us to tell mum not to take it for two days so it is vitally important to have it monitored.

I hope the dental problem you originally posted about has been resolved and isn't something longterm needing more antibiotics?

It can be tricky keeping inr in balance as any changes in medication or diet affect it.

• Posted

My dental problem was quickly resolved but my wife is now the one on antibiotics. Twice for a dental problem and once for a chest infection. One of the antibiotics laid her low and had to be prescribed an alternative. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.