Antibiotics and probiotics

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is there any advantage or not, to taking  probiotcs whilst taking a antibiotic and pain killers to tackle a infection?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My doctor told me there was no point in taking probiotics whilst on antibiotics as the antibiotics wipe out any benefits that you get from the probiotics. Painkillers though I think are ok.
  • Posted

Agree with Linda59603.

My Doctor also said the same and in fact said that taking probiotic at the same time as antibiotics meant that the antibiotics would likely be having to work even harder to also kill the probiotic microbes etc. so not a good thing.

Taking painkillers is ok but been advised to not take Ibuprofen as it has a very detrimental effect on stomach over time and may contribute to the issues. There are natural anti-inflammatory alternatives such as turmeric with black pepper in almond milk if you can cope with flavour-it takes some getting used to, ginger, herbs (Marshmallow, Wild Yam and many others) and I'm told it's important to keep your vitamins and minerals up as these will be depleted and can quickly make you feel rather low. Good luck.

• Posted

Yes that's right, wait till you've finished the course of antibiotics then take the probiotics to replenish your system. 
  • Posted

I agree to wait until after you are done with the antibiotics. The probiotics will be needed to restore the good bacteria.
  • Posted

Hi, pretty much as I expected. I read in a magazine somewhere about it being a good idea to take probiotict when taking antibiotics.At the time I thought that sounds wrong. Over the years of having to have a course of antibiotics I find starting the probiotict 24 hours after taking the last one to be about right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.