Antibiotics -HELP! When do they kick in?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Having a really bad UTI at the moment, never had anything like this before. Bladder feels full all the time and pressure immense. Blood and pain when passing urine. Throbbing around below regions.  Did not go to Doctors until 4th day in, as thought it may go away. I have been put on Trimethoprim and today I'm half way through taking my 5 day course

Please, please as I'm at my wits end, when will I start to feel better.

when do THEY work!

Can you recommend anything to ease this unbearable discomfort 

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Whenever I've had a UTI I've found that there's been some improvement by the 2nd day of the course of antibiotics. I would have thought you would be getting some relief by now. Did your doctor get you to leave a urine sample to be tested for culture and sensitivity? Some antibiotics aren't suitable for a patients particular infection. That happened to me once and after a week my doctor had to give me a different antibiotic.
    • Posted

Urine sample taken and presumed appropriate antibiotics given. Can I get the results of my urinalysis?

Drinking mineral water at moment and feel like crap

If by Monday no better think I might see doc again

Thanks Matron

• Posted

I would think that by Monday the results of your urinalysis should be available. I would definitely see your doctor again if you don't feel any better by then as well. 
  • Posted

Stop eating any sugar in your diet. Drink some baking soda wth 1tsp and a glass of water daily. Eat some raw garlic for 4-5 days to kill off the root, your antibotics only mask the problem.  Eat 1 cup of yogurt for 7 days and alot of water to get the toxins out your body. 
    • Posted

Hi sunshine22,

Whilst I have been taking antibiotics, I have also been drinking one of those pro biotic drinks daily.... Do these help?

I certainly, when I can face going out, try the garlic and yogurt  and cut out sugar.

Thanks for advice take care

• Posted

Oh, yes, that is mandatory while you are on the antibotics by taking some probiotic, Supplement tablets of probotics are also good to use too - but any probotics at this point is what is really needed.

You just want to remove any added sugar in your diet - even most fruit because it can contains natural alot of sugar. The antibotics can only do so much so you have to add in natural remedies as well.

ontior your progress and if symptoms still persist then of course see your doctor asap. Bleeding while you are urinating is not good, meaning something is urgently wrong. But you should give it some time and by taking those probiotics helps alot.

Prescribed antibotics remove your good and bad bacteria and you need your good to regrow to assist in removing your infection. 

Also, look into Prebotics, that feeds the Probotics, good bacterias, like onions, bananas (eat half or a quarter size of a banana because its high in natural sugar but great in feeding the good bacteria), and try flax seeds..these all helps to sustain your good bac and grow it back while you are on the prescribed antibotics. 

Drink some Orange Juice or take some Vitamin C, 500mg, it should be fine to what you are taking by the doctor, you can verify with the doctor office. 

**But for immediate relief the baking soda and water (you can add some honey for some taste but not too much) will work immediately to get your acidity back in check, bad bacteria can not sustain there, allowing your bladder to heal and the vag area (they are all connected) and the food intake (removing sugar - even fruit - will stop feeding the bad bacteria).

The raw garlic (1-3 cloves, can cut up in small pieces on food and eat it that way with alot of water) - will get rid of the root.

The yogurt (only plain yogurt no added sugar and no fruit add in flavors) a day and/or probotics will sustain your balance of good bacteria to fight off and keep away infections. Also as you drink alot of water keep the area extra clean with water and wiping front and back. At night you could also use a tampon with plain yogurt on it for a few hours or overnight, some women freeze it first and then insert, it works wonders for the cool feeling and works fast to removing the bad bacteria that lives on the outside of the vag and inside and on the end point (the part that releases the urine from the bladder).

And when you can - try that Cranberry and Buchu, after your finish the with the antibotics, again you want to make sure everything you taking is not interfering with each other thats in capsules or tablet form. Also, the D-Mannose Power works good too, but again you can try this route after your antibotics take it course of using for certain days to try these natural remedies.   

And you're welcome, hope you feel better soon...

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I posted a reply with other info but not yet approved to view. But I wanted to answer your question. Yes, probotics (drinks) will work and is extremely necessary to take as you are on antibotics due to antibotics remove the good/bad bacteria. Also you can eat plain yogurt, not even with fruit because some fruit is high in sugar.

You do want to feed the good bacteria as you starve off the bad bacteria but removing all sugars from diet, so for prebotics that feed the good bacteria eat onions, bananas (eat half or a quarter size due to its high in sugar), and flax seeds -- that will assist in growing your good bacteria. Monitor your progress still and if no progress then see your doctor asap, you should not be bleeding while you are urinating, its got to get healed. And the garlic will remove the root by taking for a few days

Hope you feel better and hope my other post get approved and post.

• Posted

Also try the baking soda of 1tsp with a glass of water, cause it works immediately to change your ph to more acidity that the bad bacteria can't survive and that should stop the bleeding while urinating. Drink lots of water 8 glasses and monitor your urination to no longer bleeding, once that stops you know what you have been doing is working and your healing, **dont stop when symptoms cease, keep going and start changing your diet to removing as much daily intake of sugar. 

Take care.

• Posted

Hi sunshine,

Your advice is extremely valuable to me and I want to thank you.

I have had this "Severe Acute Cystitis" for 8 days, just had enough

I have bought some D-Mannose powder and should have this tomorrow.

I am taking two probiotics a day, unfortunately with Ciprofloxacin antibiotics I am not able to take milk products for several hours.

I am coming off these tablets as my side effects are awful and have heard that some of the side effects can cause permanent damage.

Once out of my system I will have yogurt 

thanks again for your help, take care and good health to you x

• Posted

i would recommend you drink plenty and plenty of water as water reduces the concentration of urine and will be less bleedy and wash out the bacteria increase your water intake it helped me at hard times 

get well soon 

• Posted

Thank you all for your valuable advice x
    • Posted

Get some probiotic pills for your stomache and urinary tract, and some D-Mannose Powder.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine68099, I'm sorry your feeling so unwell, as someone who has been Hospitalised twice now I know how your feeling. First and for most I would take a Serious look at the Antibiotic Trimethoprim you have been prescribed. Take a look at the conversations in this blog. I for one was prescribed this Medication which made me worse. My Hubby looked it up online and could not beleive the side effects, I suggest you do the same, you may urgently need to get your G.P to change it and could feel much better soon Plenty of water nothing Acidic and Paracetamol and hopefully the right Antibiotic. I wish you better soon.
    • Posted

Hi there 

been a very painful day, no six in all

went to out of surgery hours doctor last night and she said "I have severe acute cystitis and the current antibiotics are not working!!"

She has now got me on ciprofloxacin and I have taken my second tablet.

Does anyone know if they work ? So desperate to feel even a little better 

• Posted

That's the antibiotic I was given when my first one didn't help. Within 48 hours I was feeling much better. 
    • Posted

I never used that antibiotic, hopefully, it will kick in to remove the pain within another 24 hours.  

You should consider seeing an urologist - if symptoms continue as there are with no real improvement to determine the underlying infection. It could be the norm from e.coli -- Start or always wipe from front to back to prevent more infection or future ones once this episode is over.

Also continue to drink plenty of water and continue to eat your probiotics.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hey Elaine, for your cystitis, try using some type of a heat pad or a warm bottle on your tummy (try a plastic bag or if you have one of those big ziplock bags filled with warm water).

And you can also try to sit in a bath if you are still slightly bleeding, I would let the running water continue as you also let the bath tub drain a bit - by not covering the drain completely - you dont want to sit in still water but moving water. Use your hands as well to push the water outward to the drain. You want to feel the warm water on that area but not keep it there just move the water foward. Do not add anything to the water. uld in. Basically, soak, rinse, repeat.

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

Hi Elaine

I'm part of the Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome forum here. Please please don't take any more Cipro! Click on the link I've posted above. It will take you to an EMIS moderator's pinned post about these antibiotics, with links to sites for further info.They are NEVER supposed to be prescribed unless every other antibiotic has been tried first. They are not to be given as a first line defence. They can cause devastating adverse reactions...many of them and they can be delayed reactions, not showing the damage for months after stopping the drug..... and they can be permanent. Really. I mean this. You must stop the Cipro and ask your doctor to prescribe another antibiotic from another class. Sorry to sound so alarmist but in the US at the moment there are class action lawsuits going on and Fluoroquinolones have Black Box warnings on them there, which is what happens before a drug is taken off market, our docs in the UK are prescribing them inappropriately and aren't reading the MHRA directives regarding their use.

read the discussions about them. Fluoroquinolones were designed for pandemics like Pneumonia and Anthrax! You should never be prescribed them unless it is a life or death situation. 

Please take me seriously Elaine. People can suffer unimaginable damage from just one tablet....not joking!

I am not a doctor but was damaged severely by Levofloxacin two and a half years ago. I was bedridden due to damage to Bith Achilles Tendons and all other tendons in both feet and ankles. I have researched thoroughly and I do know what I'm talking about. I am still far from recovered, with many adverse reactions. Some can take a course of Cipro and seen to be fine but everyone has their own tolerance level and the second course could be like bomb going off in their body. They are not like any other class of antibiotic and in the patient info leaflet, there are warnings about possible permanent damage eg., Peripheral Neuropathy..

I'll stop here but please feel free to ask me anything and I'll try to answer.

Be well

Plodding on

• Posted

PS. I hope you can understand my post...there are a few typos. I was bedridden for 6 months. You could cure your uti but be left with severe long term damage. I know of hundreds of people who are suffering (some have died)  as a result of Cipro and other in the class. They have a fluorine molecule which enables them to penetrate deep into cells. They act like chemo and are like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Many have already been taken off the market here.

Plodding on

• Posted

I'm feeling dreadful, pins n needles in foot, body aches, feeling sick, buttock ache , strange feeling that sweeps over me like a wave and back pain.

im coming off these.

can you recommend another one that will treat severe, acute cystitis 

thanks alot

• Posted

How long was you on citro? I have taken three tablets, that's enough for me, can't tolerate any more side effects. Thanks for your advice, going to listen to you. My UTI can be cured, but other problems arising from side effects.....can't.

I have had this UTI for eight days now, really can't take anymore 

Wishing you well

• Posted

Oh Elaine, I'm so sorry you feel so bad and your symptoms are very familiar to me. It sounds like you are having Adverse Reactions to the Cipro. Did you read the patient info leaflet, as many reactions are actually listed? They say many are 'rare' or 'very rare' but they are not; they are common,

As I said, I'm not a medic of any kind and normally I wouldn't presume to give anyone advice but when it comes to any of the Fluoroquinolines, or Quinolones, I will because I know first hand what they can do and have met so many people who have been very badly damaged.

Your GP ( are you in the UK?) may not know about the ADRs and may try to tell you that it's not possible or that you are imagining these symptoms, you are not. I was 'lucky', as my GP did believe me and it is now written in bold all over my medical notes 'No Quinolones - Severe Adverse reaction'.

I don't know enough about antibiotics (only FQs) to advise you of a different one but try anything maybe? I think someone here mentioned that certain antibiotics are better than others for particular conditions, so that might be worth looking into yourself. If you looked at the pinned post, there is a site mentioned, I think, where you can look up all meds.

The term 'Floxed' has been used to describe what has happened to you and in the US, there is to be a hearing next month, with some Floxed people and the FDA, about the dangers of FQs. The FDA has given the condition a name - FQAD - Fluoriquinolone Antibiotic Disability. You can tell your GP about this.

Goid luck and let me know how you go on

P.odding on

• Posted

I took Levofloxacin 500mgs twice a day. By the 3rd tablet I felt more unwell and had aching legs but I put it down to having been in bed, with possibly a chest infection, then by the 3rd day, after 4 tabs I was so ill I had to call the doctor to make a home visit. She put me on Prednisolone but neither she nor I knew that they would make everything worse. I continued to deteriorate and every day, something new appeared. By the 6th day I began to suspect it might be a reaction, as I had a vague memory of reading something in the leaflet about Achilles Tendons and mine had become really painful. Still I couldn't really believe it was due to antibiotics and so I foolishly continued to take them, by day 9, I was certain and rang the doc. A message came back to stop the drug immediately but the damage had been done.

As you haven't taken so many, you may not get any worse and hopefully, will get better but everyone is different, so I can't tell you anything for sure. I wish I could.

I'll be thinking of you. I'm so glad that you're not taking any more and I'm sorry if I frightened you but there's no way to warn you without creating such alarm.

Plodding on

• Posted

How did you come to be hospitalised, hope you're feeling much better now?

Going to my Doctors tonight

Thanks for your advice

• Posted

Bless you, will keep you informed.

You never know, you may have saved my life.

Thank you so much again

• Posted

Elaine - You're very welcome. I'm just so relieved that you stopped taking them.

To be fair, it was someone else from the FQ forum who spotted you'd taken Cipro and told me. He asked if I could warn you...so I did. We try to look out for anyone who may be taking an FQ and not know the dangers or who may be having weird symptoms and not understand why. The doctors aren't doing this, so us patients must.

We always assume that if an Adverse Reaction is listed as 'rare', then we aren't going to get it. We certainly don't expect to have more than one reaction at a time, or that an antibiotic could possibly to do this to us. Also, because the reactions can occur many months after stopping the drug, many people never make the connection eg., they suddenly rupture a tendon and don't know why and so these events rarely get reported.

You must make sure that you never take any other antibiotic in this class again. If you do, then your reaction could be worse. So I recommend that you force your doctor to listen to you, if necessary take some info along. The ADRs are even listed on the main site here, so I can't understand how the doctors can ignore that.

If you need more info, then the website Floxie Hope is a good place to look, with evidence and science based research. The link is in the moderator's pinned post.

It's really worrying because they are being prescribed for all kinds of infections and usually without first having the infection confirmed.

If you feel able, it would help if you could report your ADRs to the MHRA, on their site, using the Yellow Card Scheme (there will be a link on the main site) and report also to the dispensing pharmacist, who has a duty to report back to the drug company. You don't need any doctor to agree with you to do this. If your doctor does accept what has happened, they should also report this as a 'significant event'.

I hope you feel better soon but in the event that you don't, or begin to feel worse, then please don't hesitate to post on the Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome forum. I'll find you and so will others too. At the moment people are having a very hard time, because so many doctors don't understand what happens or what they've done and if they do, many refuse to admit it. Often doctors don't like to admit mistakes, or that they don't know what to do and it's simply easier to tell their patients that they are imagining their symptoms. You know you're not imagining your reaction; it is real. This is leaving so many people suffering dreadfully and all alone with no support. This why we are supporting eachother....there is nowhere else for us to go!

Please tell your friends, family and anyone else you come across, what's happened and not to take any Fluoroquinolone/Quinolone, unless it's an absolute last resort.

Take care Elaine and I wish you well.

Plodding on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.