Anticipating highs and lows

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm hoping someone can help me, or give me some pointers. Ive had the same problem for a number of years now but it is definitely getting worse. When a major event or an enjoyable experience come along, such as a vacation or my wedding, I spend so long looking forward to them and they consume my life. Then when they are over it can take me months of feeling low to get over. In some cases I have to take time of work and cant even bring myself to get out of bed. More recently though, I have started to anticipate the lows before the highs have even finished! I can be sitting a week into my three week honeymoon feeling depressed at how quickly it is going in! Is there a way to smooth the highs and lows?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi darkbeforedawn I'm deanie I'm no professional but I get the exact same and I'm at the point where I'm expecting it to happen when I'm in the lows it's so mis arable and I'm embarrassed I don't want anyone to see me thing don't get done cause I don't ge up out of bed but I have to be at work everyday at 4pm so that kinda snaps me out of it but not really I think I may come across grumpy but I don't mean to be or like sad but I try not to but my boyfriend don't judge me on it I think it makes it so much worse if you are being judged or told off . He's always positive for me expects me to try but if I'm have moments I don't get up or there's three baskets of washing he just don't yell or anything he will say come on time to he up lets go to work I get ready and we go and fir some reason it really helps we sit we talk even if it's for an hour he listens soooo???? so what I'm trying to say I guess don't get down on yourself when things get left undone cause I think that's a factor u get down then you overthink all the problems that are being caused on the down ....if u know what I mean .... And yes I also get to the point when I'm in a high I think to myself omg how long will this last till I'm feeling low again right now I'm not out of a low either I find the longer I be positive and in the height sometimes I have a really long low and stuff weird as it seems do I make any sense just trying to help in anyway 👍🏼😀??

• Posted

Mindfulness might help with the way you're feeling as it helps you to focus on and live in the present and learn to appreciate and enjoy everyday things more. There's a lot online and in books with simple short exercises you can do. It may help to also focus on everyday pleasures you have to look forward to, one mindfulness exercise is to list 10 things on a daily basis you have enjoyed. It doesn't have to be huge, things like a great cup of coffee, a hot shower, a nice dinner, your favourite show, time with your spouse etc etc. I'm no expert but I think it's worth a try! Just try to remember that there's always going to be new things to look forward to and in the meantime there's lots of little daily pleasures you may have been taking for granted xx ps. a visit to your doctor might also be beneficial 

• Posted

God, it's so hard!! You know you should be feeling good, but you're not. Then you DO feel good, then it goes - or you worry about it going! It's all symptons of an over-thinking brain babe. We're all guilty as charged on this forum.

It sounds to me like it's nothing too serious though, you just want the best for yourself and others, and find it hard when all your efforts are over? 

I don't know , but maybe you are judging yourself too harshly - and trying to acheive too much / prove yourself in some way.

My folks had my future mapped out, and it was all based on how well i did and therefore how much love i got, if this was true for you than i know where you're coming from!

All the best angel, you may have to start lowering your expectations so that it doesn't matter so much, if you know what i mean xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.