Antihistamines for long time

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey. I have Cholinergic Urticaria for about 13 years. There has been no improvement by this time. I take Cetirizini dihydrochloridum every 2-3 days. For about 6 years I has been catching cold very easily. I did't care but now when I go work it is very uncomfortable and annoying to have permanently runny nose. I visited doc who diagnosed that he doesn't see anything worrying or disturbing in my health condition. He said that antihistamines can't lead to runny nose because it is used to treat cold.

I read all internet, twice, and found some information that antihistamines dry sinuses and nose mucosa - even with short-term usage. Can it be reason of my problem? I don't see chance to stop take meds bacuse attacks are very intense. How can I take antihistamines and take care of the respiratory system?

HELP

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I think your doctor is right antihistamines does ease say a pollen or dust allergy by reducing the mucus but they don't fry your nose or cause excess mucus. I don't know much about your type of urticaria I'll have to look it up.
  • Posted

Actually I beg to differ, antihistamines do dry out mucus membranes ie nose, mouth, throat etc. This is because antihistamines are also adrenergic and cholinergic antagonists ie they block the activity of epinephrine and acetylcholine to an extent.

As far as cholinergic urticaria, antihistamines are basically useless. You need to ask to be referred to an immunologist/allergist or rheumatologist. They will be able to determine what kind of cholinergic urticaria you have. They also feel more comfortable escalating treatment to more powerful and proven options such as immunomodulators like cyclosporine, methotrexate, tarcolimus etc or biologics such as Xolair (omalizumab)

Hope this helps

• Posted

Gosh are you a doctor, sorry if I got it wrong. I am still on antihistamines and they don't do that to me.
    • Posted

Lol I didn't mean to be aggressive. Everyone's capacity to fight off side effects vary. Also at the doses prescribed for cholinergic urticaria and other forms of chronic urticaria and autoimmune urticaria, the side effects are inevitable
  • Posted

The most strange thing for me is that I catch cold so easily now. Teoreticaly, taking antihistamines should help with this.

During cold, mucus is excessive and watery with no color.

• Posted

Those are most likely not colds. The constant use of antihistamines---> dry nose. This causes your sinuses to become inflammed and that's probably why your nose feels stuffy. What antihistamine(s) are you taking, the doses and frequency?
    • Posted

I used to take Amertil - 10 mg Cetirizini dihydrochloridumfor - 13 years, one pill every 2-3 days (don't need take everyday). Yeastarday I bought Allegra - 120g Fexofenadine.

Additionally I bought spray for moisturizing nasal mucosa to use at work (openspace with air conditioning) and Guaifenesinum to stimulate treatment of sinuses (found this treatment way in the internet).

• Posted

Ceterizine is a 2nd generation antihistamine so it shouldn't have had such an effect on your sinuses. You might be particularly sensitive to antihistamines in general. Allegra a 3rd generation should have even fewer side effects so I hope it works for you. I haven't heard of the guaifenesin thing I'll have to look it up
  • Posted

My last observations suggests that my nose rush can be connected with diary, not using antihistamines.

Should antihistamines work against milk allergy?

If not:

Can laktose intolerance lactose intolerance lead to nose rush?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.