Antipsychotics

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have depression/anxiety

My meds have been reviewed I am now on 200mg of sertraline 15mg mirtazapine and 25mg of seroquel/quetiapine twice a day but only if I really need it.

It says on the leaflet its an antipsychotic drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are theses people doing to me ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone got any experience on seroquelcool

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

anti psychotics are used to control mood or distorted thoughts so hopefully it will help you.  Don't worry too much about the name antipsychotic it's just a psychiatric term.

richard

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

I too take seroquel 50mg at night, it was the only drug that worked for me to sleep, been on it many years, I now sleep soundly,

Hope it works for you, it's prescribed for different reasons,

Take care

• Posted

Yes, I am on seraqual I am on 100 mgs but I cut it in half that makes 50 mgs it is the only med that makes me sleep at night, but I have too take it with clonazapam or I won't sleep at all. Antipsychotics are tough, and if you stay on them long it is hard to tapper off them, I was on risperidol and it messed me up pretty bad, I feel like I am in another world always depressed, and so on. Just be carful with these type of meds.
  • Posted

I agree, be extremely careful of these types of meds.

I got the movement disorder tardive dyskinesia from just ONE WEEK of taking a first genderation typical anti-psychotic, prescribed for severe insomnia and anxiety.

I hate the medical profession for prescribing such powerful meds and not telling me of the potential side effects (extrapyramidal) and risk of movement disorder. Only take antipsychotic meds if absolutely necessary. And for the very shortest time possible. Taper off very slowly abd carefully too (I didn't, it was horrendous).

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Nikki

Thanks for the advice.

I have decided I will not be taling the quetiapine.

I will stick with the sertraline for my deoression and continue with CBT for anxiety

Stay Strongeek

• Posted

Great decision... I wish you all the best. I only wish someone had told me of the potential harmful effects when I was prescribed them but hindsight is a wonderful thing. 😖😫😥

Good luck... 👍🏽

• Posted

Hello Nikki

What an awful thing to happen. Who prescribed the first generation anti psychotic - it does seem extreme. Was it a psychiatrist? It is worrying as I have severe anxiety and insomnia and would hate that to happen to me! 

Is your movement disorder getting any better?

Caroline

• Posted

Yes it was my pychiatrist who prescibed quetrapine to

"take the edge off my anxiety"!!!!!!

Lynneredface

• Posted

Hi Caroline

The meds were prescribed by my GP in desperation for something to help my anxiety and severe insomnia last Nov after I had a pretty horrid few months in the summer as I had post concussion syndrome after when I banged my head in May (at a country house in Norfolk, at an outdoor treehouse-type play area when I was filming my daughter on my phone and didn't look where I was going up a ladder, then banged my head...!).

After this I had lots of neurological health issues / cognitive / anxiety/sleep probs etc. Ended up taking quite a lot of psychiatric meds including Valium, Zopiclone and the dreaded Pericyazine that left me with bloody TD which is very annoying / embarrassing.

Am still trying to get through it now and had a lot of time off work last year. Have been to 3 diff neurologists when one finally diagnosed TD a couple of weeks ago.

I think my post concussion symptoms are still ongoing as I find it difficult to plan/organise/write articles for work and find I've become a bit dyslexic too, and struggle to understand when I'm reading. 😩

Life goes on though and things may improve. 😳

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.