Antipsychotics

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

Am on aripiprazole, citralopram and lithium and am finding being on antipsychotic hard. I feel lethargic and detached on it. I have gone back to work, but feel rubbish on them. Just wondered if anyone else is having this problem. I have to take antipsychotics as I have schzioaffective disorder. Just wanna feel like me again.

Lou x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Provided that you get the correct cocktail of drugs you will not feel tired. I think lithium does affect concentration levels and tiredness so maybe you could see if a change from that to something more appropriate would work. Get some advice from your psychiatrist.
  • Posted

I'd say what's making you feel tired and detached is the arippirazole. It is one of the new generation of atypical antipsychotics and the side effects you are describing are practically unavoidable. Hopefully in time you will develop somewhat of a tolerance and the horrible sensation of lethargy and detachment will begin to subside.

Do you take your meds orally or are they given by depo? Ultimately, if you have control over your meds you can decide to occasionally skip a day. But you do have to weigh up whether you are prepared to risk your stability and mental equilibrium.

There are meds your psychiatrist can prescribe that tackle some of the unpleasant side effects apiprazole. Unfortunately some of the side effects can't be avoided.

Persevere, and do speak to your psychiatrist. Ultimately, if you find this medication regime intolerable, your psychiatrist may have to try something else.

• Posted

Hi Jack, I think your right, am hoping horrible sensations will pass, but having been on risperdone think this is normal for these drugs. I take them orally, so can cut them down a bit. Just feel rotten on them. I tried procyclidine, but still getting weird head sensations and apathy.

Thanks for replying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.