Anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone out there struggling with anxiety? And feel like your meds aren't working good enough for you? Well that's me I fight anxiety daily and I hate it I've tried different meds and therapy and nothing seems to ease it up any suggestions?Cat196111

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yep! Struggling with anxiety since my dad died in 1997. Tried a few meds that didn't help but found a doctor that prescribed mirtazapine (instead of the SSRIs which never worked for me) back in 2003 or so and that helped more than anything. It was a miracle drug for me. Mirtazapine helped my anxiety the first dose I took, and it just got better when I went up to 30mg and 45mg.

Just got off all meds for the first time, 6 weeks ago, and I'm working on getting insurance so I can get regular therapy. I'm tired of meds. Tired of anxiety.

The things that helped me the most: 1) I gave up sugar and junk food in 2000. Sugar made me tired AND made my anxiety worse. 2) I also gave up caffeine around the same time. 

Once I gave up the sugar and white flour and stuff, I didn't get tired in the middle of the day so I didn't need caffeine anymore. The first few weeks were tough, and I definitely went through carb and caffeine withdrawal, but it was relatively easy.

• Posted

Hi mud thnx for responding. i had to give up caffeine also and i seldom eat sweets.im on my last week of mirt due to weight gain.yet i still have some anxiety.yor info was hlpfl
    • Posted

Glad to help.

I gained weight too, but I don't know if it's just because I've reached that age, or if it's from the mirtazapine. I've been off it for 6 weeks and haven't lost a pound yet, so we'll see.

• Posted

I have the same issue. I am taking 30 mg of mirtazapine, 20 mg of fluoxetine and been taking one tablet of 0.5 mg of lorazepam. Nothing seems to help. sad

• Posted

hi 1254smit i take atavan or as they call it ddiazapam 2mg 3xdaily it works for a while but i expect longer effects.this is my last wk n mirt. been on it for 8 months and gained weight from it which i didnt like.i really hope maybe you can get on something different??lets tryto think positive and see where we go.im with you and all anxiey sufferers.
    • Posted

Wow, your doctor has you taking ativan 3 times a day? How long have you been taking it at that dosage and schedule? I became addictied to ativan years ago and went through withdrawal for almost a year. I had to find a new doctor to get me off that stuff, and he told me it should only be used as a last resort because it's so addictive. Even after taking it for just a couple weeks, I had to take more and more to get the same effect. And a couple times I ran out, it was horrible. 

I avoid benzos like the plague these days. I have a couple low-dose Xanax I keep around, and I keep one in my pocket at all times, just in case, but luckily I haven't had to take one in years. Funny how just having one pill on me is usually enough to keep me from going over the edge.

• Posted

Good for you mud I wish I could be pill free I have been on atavan since march I know benzos can be addicting but this time I'm not abusing them as I did with klonapin.maybe someday in my life time I'll be med free all I can do is hope and pray I am happy for you mud

• Posted

Yet cat i strugle with anxiety every day and im on 300mg of venlafaxine and 45mg of mertazapine but im only meant to be on 15mg of mertazapine a have to buy the rest .... Nothing works iv had every drug on the market iv also had hypnotherapy ...N.l.p treatment ...E.M.D.R treatment, only one of them worked for 3 weeks and the anxiety came back sad iv lived with ir for 18 years

• Posted

hi RICHARD sorry to hear about your anxiety. i hate it. meds are so complicated.and finding the right one is 1 in a 1,000 i know.im feeling it.thnx for sharing.
  • Posted

hi Cat, hope you are asleep and resting as its past midnight.  I wish I could wave a magic wand over your anxiety and make it vanish. There are many people out there who suffer like you do, you are not on your own so take sone comfort from that fact. Listening to the many upset people makes me think that medication is not really going to fix things long term. We all need to identify what it is that makes us anxious and try and tackle what has happened to our lives rather than taking a tablet to try and fix it . I hope you will soon feel better
    • Posted

thank you drew you are right meds arent always the answere.if only it can be that easy.i think one of my problems is that i worry alot and always think negative i need to learn how to turn that around.thnx again,
  • Posted

Hi Cat. Yes I felt like Mirtazapine (started in November 15) was having the opposite effect on my anxiety after a couple of months of being on it, and getting worse. Eventually I started on fluoxetine back in April and have now tapered off Mirtazapine.
    • Posted

hi jean this is my last week on mirt, it caused to much weight gain.it helped me to sleep though see if my anxiety lessons any when im off it thnx for responding
  • Posted

Every time I hear people aren't doing well with anxiety while on mirtazapine, they're always taking another AD med like Effexor or another SSRI.

Everyone I've ever spoken to that has taken mirtazapine by itself has stated that it worked wonders for their anxiety, myself included.

I wish folks would try just mirtazapine without any other meds.

• Posted

i have been on mirt for almost 8 months now mud. all its done for me was caused weight gain. this is my last week on it.im really glad it works for you.
    • Posted

Oh yeah, after 8 months, it's definitely not working for you. Oh well, at least you can cross that one off the list smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.