Anxiety about death

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello people, 

I'm sorry to start this off with such a morbid subject, but I have been struggling with this for a good part of 15 years and i'm only 21! 

My earliest memory of this when I was younger (preteen about 6 years old) I would cry at night because I was scared I may not wake up in the morning and I have carried this with me all the way into adulthood. Death is on my mind from the moment I wake up in the morning to the moment I go to sleep its my first and last thought every day, and I don't feel normal for it at all but what would I even say if I was to talk to my GP? Would they laugh and tell me to stop being so pathetic? I have spoken with my mum and my partner about my worries and they are well aware of my fears but I have no control over this one they tell me its just one of them things that happens to everyone, there are many aspects of death I fear.. being alone when I pass, not saying goodbye or telling people that are important to me just how much they mean to me. I have never had a death in my family so haven't had to greive for someone. I was just wondering if anyone else has the same issue or am I alone on this one as I certainly feel it! If anyone else does feel the same way do you have any adivse?

Thank you! 

Kirsty xx

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I FEEL THAT WAY EVERYDAY ALL DAY AS WE SPEAK I FEEL LIKE CRAP AND I THINK I'M FLING TO DIE I GET DIZZY AND ALL KINDS OF OTHER THINGS HAPPEN SO YOUR NOT ALONE
  • Posted

Hi kirsty

i dont fear death but have lots of fears and i drive myself crazy about it. I feared 6 months ago after getting a new boss that i was gonna loose my job, i made myself ill about it and i am now facing being dismissed via capability grounds as i have been on long term sick. When i was told this could be the case, i had a word with my logic and i started to feel a relief that it was my thoughts that was making me this way and whats the worst thing to come out of the situation. Your Situation must be really upsetting for you as death is a very final thing and in your mind all the time that something bad is going to happen must also be really upsetting for you. I am no kind of doctor or therapist, but i would probably confront your fears head on. Go to your GP they wont laugh at all, get them to give u a once over medical to reassure you that your health is good, book a therapist for CBT, they are really helpful and teach how to train your brain so when you have these thoughts or feelings you know how to deal with them..Lastly i would say, go tell all of your freinds and family how much you love and care for them, they dont have to know your thoughts about death, but this will put your mind at rest that you have told them and if anything was to happen you have told them. Anxiety is awful, but the more you fight it the worse it becomes and then you no longer have anxiety it has you. confront everything head on and dont let it win.

good luck xx

• Posted

Hi

I thought i was the only one it's weird. My husband tells me everything's fine you're gonna be ok, but then I say then why am I fearing it all of a sudden which scares me. I rather fear sidewalks then this it feels like my life has been tooken over.

• Posted

I have a fear of death . Started when I had my little girl 6 years ago. But I got help and managed it ok . But this January I lost my baby boy ( stillborn ) my health anxiety has come back even Worse . Every day I think I have cancer . I have tingling in my jaw and chin area and my gums burn. I have convinced my self I have cancer. I've been doctor's / dentist they said I'm fine . But sent me an appointment for the hospital . everyone says I'm mentally unstable . Your not alone hun. Please go to the doctors for help x it's such a horrible fear . Thoughts with you xx
    • Posted

Oh natasha, I'm so sorry to hear about your little boy that must of been terrible! I can't even begin to imagine the pain.

I think I will get my self to the doctors its just a little bit humiliating i'm so independant and feel so useless having this issue as I just can not budge it! It rules my life, i'm starting to get on my boyfriends nerves asking if he's scared of dying I think I just want to hear someone else is so I feel half normal and not sch a freak! I'm the same with thinking I have medical issues I go to the doctors for things most people wouldnt bother with I guess I just don't want to be fed drugs and just spend my life being high on medication! 

Thoughts are with you too and I send my condolences to you & family xxxx

• Posted

3rd time lucky posting this. You are definitely not alone Kirsty. I think about it nearly all the time. It plagues me and makes daily living so difficult, I just wish I could forget about it and live my life. I get awful anxiety about my only child and fear the worst all the time. I've been pretty much awake tonight until I've heard him back in the house after he's been to work. I also constantly think I'm going to drop dead. I'm trying to not let it show but it's just a nightmare. I have regular anxiety attacks where my stomach badly churns and I feel sick. I'm thinking of mentioning it to my doc to see if there are any medications they can suggest. Take care xxx
    • Posted

Hi! 

Thank you for replying to my post, i'm glad to know im not alone btu sad to hear that other people are having the same issue. 

I think im anxiety comes from not wanting to waste my life and getting to the end and thinking well i could of done this or i shouldnt of done this and it being too late but i'm scared i'll get to the end and think well i've wasted my life thinking about this time of my life 'the end' and not dont what i wanted! I just can not shift this feeling its ruling my life.

xx

• Posted

Maybe something inside you, we can call it your soirit or soul is trying to wake up then. Trying to find a way to get you to see that theres no moment or actual circumstance that needs to fall in place before you give yourself somekind of permission to be happy or even content. You just go for it. When that is stronger then your negative emotions when that clicks youll change. 
  • Posted

Hello Kirsty you are not alone, I've had this for a while, it's just so life a
  • Posted

Hello Kirsty you are not alone, I've had this for a while, it's just so life aborbing. There's hardly a minute that it's not plaguing
  • Posted

Dear Kirstyleigh,

I'm 62 and I can tell you with all honesty that a day doesn't go by that I don't think about dying, especially as my partner is only 49 (We have been together for 20 years). I also think about how I'm going to die too, especially as my parents died when I was 18 and 21 respectively and watching them die due to cancer was not nice.

You have to convince yourself that you are lucky to be alive as I do. I am now older than my parents where when they died but when I actually got to their age I was convinced I was going to die at that age too.

You need to get some help. Try the Samaritans who are alway ready to listen.

Remember you have a life to live and enjoy. You must try to push those dark morbid thoughts to the back of your mind and enjoy life as I do.

• Posted

I'm just so terrified! I'm scared I'll waste my life an not do what i wanna do in life but then i'm wasting most of my time thinking about dying, its ruling my life it is such a burden and one I don't think many people understand until they have the same burden, I never thought to speak to samaritans, maybe im not well educated but I just assumed they were for people who had suicidal thoughts? Excuse my ignorance! 

I think what sets me off is when I realise my parents aren't going to live forever and that one day I will have to greive for them, I wish I could prepare myself for that time but I guess there is no real way of knowing how I may react to that kind of news. It just really scares me!

Thank you for the advise it is greatly appreciated! xx

• Posted

You're not alone, i thought i was the only one.My other half and my baby girl are so important too me and the thought of it all scares me and makes me cry.
  • Posted

Hello everyone

I have a son who thinks he is going to die young and is causing him axiety everyday it is litterally spoiling his life, He is fit and healthy other than this as he plays sports. The thing is this, I need to help him get over this and I need help with technics to make him well again. Any suggestions that helped you overcome this feeling of death would be much appreciated thank you, P.s. He has seen the doctor and all is well.

• Posted

You are not alone in this. Many fear death and think about. I have and i dont know anyone who hasnt thought about it, There are books  miracles from heaven or those near death experience from children. Its all quite interesting.  Bottom line is i guess it depemds on your faith and such. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.